No crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
2004 4.6L. I replaced the PCM relay and it didnt make a difference.

I checked ground wires but didnt do a voltage drop test.

Thanks for the explanation of 87 and 30. I will see about that this evening.

DeathMechanic

Reaction score
You said “No crank” right? So we’re not dealing with the crank, no start.

You said you were dealing with a coolant leak at the metal line. Was this engine overheating right before it happened?

It’s possible that you have a blown head gasket and coolant has leaked into the combustion chamber creating a condition that we sometimes call Hydra-lock.

Were you getting white smoke out the tailpipe, when it was running? Also, check the condition of your oil. Is there some milky, yellow color to it?

Take the oil cap off and look at the back of it. Check for excessive moisture or a yellow, milky substance.

What is the condition of your coolant?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the wiring diagrams for the 2004. Let us know if you need help reading these.
You will always have voltage drop since it is adding a parallel circuit and electricity will follow both paths. The problem is when there is too much of it on the main circuit.

Attachments

• Starting-Charging 1.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Starting-Charging 2.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
Bench tested the starter. Starter engages and gear spins. When I attach the cables, The starter engages (gear pops out) but it doesnt spin

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of a few things:
1) engine seized
2) bearing on accessory item seized - keeps engine from turning
3) low amperage/voltage to starter - not enough juice getting to the starter

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you bench tested the starter. If you go through the solenoid and a solenoid snaps the Bendix out and it spins then it should be okay. But if you bench test straight to the lower terminal on the solenoid which is the windings of the starter motor then it will still Spin and sometimes even kick out but may not do so the other way.
Did the engine crank before? Was it running and just died? An engine just doesn't lock up sitting there unless it's for years and years.
Hydrolocking with either fuel or coolant is a possibility but not very common.