no defrost/ floor vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03psd73

Reaction score
Like it says in the title I have no defrost or floor heat or air blowing. It all come from the dash no matter where i turn the knob. What are so areas i can check to get this fixed. Tried the search and i guess im not putting it in right. Thanks in advance

2007 expy 4x4 el

OP
OP

03psd73

Reaction score
saw that one, that is on the list to check. it is raining now so have to wait till it quits lol

Plati

Reaction score
In the 70's, we had to put a DC powered fan on the dash of the VW BUG in order to even have a small place to see out the windshield & we would scrape the inside of the windshield. The only heat came from the air around a metal shield enclosing the exhaust parts, which was always rusted out anyway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you say the dash, are you referring to the vents that blow AC and vent air? Generally when your not getting switchable functions, IE defrost, floor, vent, it usually a vacuum hose issue, that's keeping blender doors from opening/closing. Are you doing the repairs? It can be easy like a cracked hose right in front of you, or as complex as having to diagnose and replace blender door vacuum diaphragms, or a problem with the blender doors themselves. Let us know if you need help, we've had a lot of members with same issue.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

03psd73

Reaction score
yes from the dash vent. It will not blow from the top (defrost) vents or the bottom (floor) vents. Are they expys set up like the super dutys ( that is all i have had for the last 20 or so yrs) where it is vacum controled ?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be, depends, do you have fully automatic controls like mine or is yours mechanical with knobs?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey polarizer, my first car was a 56 vw bug, talk about a crappy heater. Like yours worked off of engine heat. Thank god I grew up in San Francisco, where our worst weather is only 38 degrees. You kept a towel or squeegee with you at all times. Windows had to stay down, on heavy fogged up days/nights. Sure is nice to have a heater core, and a normal fan. Vw, my least favorite car, didn't go 36 hp , didn't stop, a step above a model T, didn't handle, swing solid axle, used to roll over, and play dead. It did get 30 mpg though, gas was 63 cents a gallon in1973.

Plati

Reaction score
IMG_0534.JPG This was a nice BUG I saw in Banff in 2016.
A nicer Expy EL behind it !!!

How did we survive without heated steering wheels/seats ... electric windows, etc?

My brother in law lived out in SF back in the day, used to go to a local bar to see the Dead play on Friday night. I think it was called Haight Ashbury area. Chevy Van days for sure.

We once removed the engine from a BUG by picking up the car and moving it, leaving the engine behind

Last edited: