Noise when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have been getting a squeaking noise from the engine compartment anytime I turn the wheel right or left. The dealer said they can't do anything warranty wise until something actually breaks. The noise sounds like either a belt is drying up or something needs to be greased. They aren't interested until something snaps. Now I am getting a whinning noise when I make a turn that is more constant. Anyone know what this could be or maybe parts I should look for under the hood that could need some TLC?

mrocks05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a power steering pump is going bad. I had a 04 F-150 that I replaced the power steering pump in twice.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+! pump... Simple and slightly messy to change.. You'll need a p/s pulley installer/remover... Since you got the lines disconnected, might as well do the flush also..

mpsjr

Reaction score
They make a belt conditioner that will help with the squealing when you turn, if that's the problem. Sometimes, when a vehicle sits for a while, the belt can harden and make noise when stressed. Other times, the pulleys can rust where exposed (everywhere other than where the belt is sitting) and cause a squeaking noise. Usually, if you hear a whining (almost like a groan) while turning, and only while turning, it's the pump. Check to make sure your power steering pump is full of fluid, and if so, it may be going bad. They aren't hard to change at all, but as mindgame said, you will need certain tools to get the job done. You might as well replace the belt while you're at it, but I would start there first to see if that solves your problem. Belts are cheap enough and require little effort to change. Just make sure you buy a good one (Motorcraft) and not one that will sling apart after a few thousand miles. I wouldn't think a 2011 would need a new p/s pump, but it's not unheard of for them to go out that quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys yeah I am perplexed by the amount of issues I have had with the 2011. I have 27000 miles on it and not sure if I can wait to get this taken care of since I am taking my family on a trip about 10 hours away and am not keen on going that distance in a truck that is making these kind of noises. Is there anyway for sure to know if the pump is going bad before it does?

The dealer did not seem to be concerned with the noise.

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would agree with the power steering pump. Not on my Expy but I had an Explorer with similiar symptoms. When I popped my hood and turned the wheel I could hear where it was coming from.

mrocks05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the belt off of the power steering pulley, the pulley, and pull it in and out to see if you feel anything hanging up inside or play.