Noisy 5.4 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this noise? It's a reman'd ATK Vege engine with 10k KMs. My mechanic thought it was a lifter. Warranty mechanic did a compression test and leakdown test and said everything is fine and the engine is running smoothly which is impossible with the bad miss it has....

Attached file is a zipped mp3

Attachments

• tick.zip
    152.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
K

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
No stethoscope, but I get where you're coming from. The sound was recorded on the back side of the driver's front tire. In layman's terms the sound is coming from the bottom end (but I realize this isn't what a mechanic would say) Can't really hear much at the "top end" except the injectors chattering.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh ok. Well I would get in contact with ATK and see what they want to do. Should have a 3 year warranty on the motor. Send them the sound clip and pictures. But that motor aint right...

OP
OP
K

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
I took it to the guy who bought the engine from them. He's telling them "Engine sounds great, runs smooth, and there are some electrical related codes (these are the cam phasers chattering, and i have a video of that too). I think i'm going to have to take it to the stealership. My regular mechanic nope'd the f out of this already saying he thinks its the lifter but doesnt' want to get involved with the warranty bs.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you call ATK ? They may tell you to go out and lay on the ground and hold the phone to the motor so they can listen to it, and authorize a new shop to take care of it.

ATK Customer Service : 800-421-3746

OP
OP
K

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
It's distributed through LKQ in Canada. I've sent them the audio clips directly. Warranty is until Nov 2024. I drive this thing most days of the week and I know its getting worse, so no skin off my teeth if the problem is more expensive to fix down the road. Mechanic had a pause when I had him listen to the knock in a certain spot (it's behind the front tire, so i really notice it when i step in or out of the truck when its running). He listened to a couple spots with a screwdriver, but wasn't convinced it wasn't just ford motor noises. I want to just pop the valve cover and check the roller followers and see if there's any scoring on the cam lobes. Makuloco has a good video on the problem. Mechanic also said it was down almost 2L of oil, and i changed it 5900kms ago (5w20 synthetic). Red flags all around.

OP
OP
K

KorbenDallas

Reaction score
It was resold by LKQ in Canada. They've closed the case as no trouble found. I still have until Nov 2024 for the warranty so I'll just let it get worse.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a phaser My 05 did that. It will eventually fail and be catastrophic. They prob used cheep one in the rebuild. Pull the valve cover and put a wrench on the cam. See if you can turn it with out the gear turning. Request oem ones. More money but don’t fail. Make sure the chain tensioners don’t leak either. That can cause low oil pressure to the cams.

KOTU

Reaction score
Definitely a lifter, rocker/roller issue. I had the same sound from my cylinder 2. The roller had frozen and the ball on the lifter eventually wore down. Don't let that happen; I lucked out there wasn't more damage than those two parts. 20220911_133823.jpg