Not accelerating right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpencerDoyle

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum thinking about trading for a 2010 expedition the truck has 250k on it and it kind of misses like it needs a tune up but I was also thinking maybe the torque converter was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be any of those things. A misfire will produce acceleration issues and cause jittery truck syndrome. Then again if the trans is at 250k on original fluid the TC could very well be causing as well. Any check engine light?

Clogged cats happen as well if there has been a misfire gone not adressed.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flashing check engine light is a solid constant miss. Usually a bad cop (coil on plug or just coil) of the rubber boot leaking spark or lots of moisture in the well and on the boot causing misfires or shorting out the spark to ground/head.

Probably just needs plugs and coils. Coils are super cheap on ebay and even on facebook market place around me local people stock and sell them.

That should have the stupid new plug design that you have to be careful removing.

That's all covered in any ford 3 valve plug thread.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2010 is beyond the years of 3 valve broken plugs. That was up to early 08. Still I wouldn't buy or trade it without either a fantastic negotiable price, or have that past owner fix it. I've seen misfires here on the forum that was as simple as one coil bad, all the way up to a cracked exaust valve. Like I always recommend, have a shop do a full check before you buy. It's worth paying $100.00 to $200.00 now, and not have a $2,000.00 repair after you buy. Think about this for a second, if the repair was easy, why didn't the past owner do it? I think he/she knows it's a bit more than simple, usually is. Remember even the best shape used vehicle, will always require a minimum of $200.00 to correct the small stuff. I've purchased over 20 used cars, and that many or more motorcycles, and I can't remember even the best one that I didn't have to buy something, or adjust something. That's just the pitfalls of all used vehicles. Good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew the newer ones weren't twisting off but I thought that was because Ford fixed their design flaw and made the plugs one piece like the Champions were to start with. That's the only time I preferred using a champion plug in an engine that wasn't a lawn mower.
Stupid 9/16 spark plug hex head. What's wrong with them? Spark plugs are either 5/8 or 13/16. Quit changing things! Quit bucking the status quo. "Know Your Role!"
I got a fairly good deal on a Town Car one time that had a solid miss that they had tried to fix. And even put a spark plug non fouler in it thinking it would work better but they just didn't know how to diagnose it. It was a valve issue but not really. One of the rocker arm or Cam followers as I called them had popped out so the intake valve was never opening. I bought it fully intending to put another engine in it or at least pull the heads because the price was right but I actually fixed the entire vehicle and drove it for years and tens of thousands of miles for under $20.
Some people do to get them diagnosed and find out but sell them because of what the dealers and garages want to fix them. If you can fix them yourself you can often do a $1,500 repair for under $200.
So I still think that more times than not he will come out of head buying them unfixed. I never want them to fix something before I buy it because they're going to spend for400or $500 and want that money back. I'm not paying a garage to fix anything.

OP
OP
S

SpencerDoyle

Reaction score
What it builds down my father in law wants to trade me his paid off expedition for my wifes 2010 Acadia that we are still currently paying on and I'm not gonna lie not having a payment for a year or two would be nice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now that's a whole different deal. You don't want to piss off your father in-law, especially if he's in law enforcement or military. Just kidding. I guess it gets back to my earlier question, why didn't he have it repaired? Doing any business with family is never usually smart, if the vehicle deal costs you, you still have to be nice to him on holidays and birthday's!

OP
OP
S

SpencerDoyle

Reaction score
Cause my father in law never thought it was bad enough to repair which it isnt bad at all but I'm still going to fix it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well let us know how it turns out.