O/d Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exped2002

Reaction score
Ok, I know that overdrive is a top gear thing, but I decided to turn mine off the other day drivin around town, just for giggles ya know? Well I noticed a slight power increase and the shift points changed..It was really cool because w/out OD it was shifting at like 3, 3.5 with just a little throttle. And the throttle response was more apparent. I had my friend drive my truck too, and he even noticed without me telling him. Did somethin cool happen to my truck or am I just imagining this?:confused: Its cool though I think my truck really changed.:D

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Taking OD off makes your engine stay in the higher RPM range, and at higher RPM's (to a certain point) your engine makes more hp and torque, so when you step on the gas and your engine is already at the higher rpm's, it's going to accelerate faster than when you have OD on. Remember though, having OD off is going to decrease your MPG.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you that the transmission shift points really suck on these trucks. Ford did this to please the soccer moms and other people that don't like to feel shifts. I can tell you that I picked up about 3 miles to the gallon around town by allowing the trans to downshift with less gas pedal input and keep the torque converter from locking up untill you get up to highway speeds. The only downside is that you actually feel the truck downshift just a bit but it isn't any different than most trucks. A custom tune can really make a difference with these trucks....
Matt