ODB Device Share Service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In some of my other past hobbies, certain tools were shared among the community is someone already owned one. Usually, the cost of shipping was all that was required to have the device shipped to a person to use.

Has anyone ever done that? I am not sure that I want to invest in a ODB device to make one change (Sync 3 Theme).

I'm not really sure of anything else that bothers me enough to want to make a permanent change.

Just a thought.

My other issue is finding a windows laptop to use. I have an old one that is so old that it doesn't even have wifi that works with today's technology very well (it is only 802.11b).

Plati

Reaction score
In some of my other past hobbies, certain tools were shared among the community is someone already owned one. Usually, the cost of shipping was all that was required to have the device shipped to a person to use.

Has anyone ever done that? I am not sure that I want to invest in a ODB device to make one change (Sync 3 Theme).

I'm not really sure of anything else that bothers me enough to want to make a permanent change.

Just a thought.

My other issue is finding a windows laptop to use. I have an old one that is so old that it doesn't even have wifi that works with today's technology very well (it is only 802.11b).
I've never quite mastered the OBD2 world … so I'm quite the amateur BUT
I have a bluetooth OBD2 device from BAFX that cost $20 and an app on my cellphone.
Its worth having well beyond a one time change. I keep in the glovebox.
Over the life of one or more vehicles there's gonna come a time when you want to read codes. Beats the crap out of having to go beg for help at AutoZone

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The BAFX brand BT adapter will not work for FORSCAN. It does not do MSCan.

These OBDII adapters have MANY uses. I use them to help friends diagnose issues, and monitor many things on my phone, like tire pressures, and trans temp...and many others.

The best by far out there is a OBDLink MX+. Monitor it on Amazon. It goes on sale periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
The BAFX brand BT adapter will not work for FORSCAN. It does not do MSCan.

These OBDII adapters have MANY uses. I use them to help friends diagnose issues, and monitor many things on my phone, like tire pressures, and trans temp...and many others.

The best by far out there is a OBDLink MX+. Monitor it on Amazon. It goes on sale periodically.

Someone needs to write a book called "OBD2 for Dummies"
for me !!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone needs to write a book called "OBD2 for Dummies"
for me !!

It is a GREAT adapter, just won’t do MSCan. It is needed on Fords to get to all the modules.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are looking at under $30. Your laptop will likely work just fine. ForScan uses very little resources. My laptop is probably 15 years old and does just fine.
I use it for ForScan, my pdf repair manual for the Expedition, and the initial download of my gamecams scattered across my property.
I dump the pics after I get home.
Have a tiny little 250gb solid state drive, 4gb of Ram maybe and a dual core celeron processor I think.

OHP ELMconfig ELM327 USB OBD2 Scanner, FORScan OBD2 Adapter for Ford Mazda Cars and Light Trucks , MS-CAN / HS-CAN Toggle Switch, Windows Only

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AhYeEb8DXYZBX

I use that unit when I am making changes to ForScan I much prefer a wired connection for that task.

I have the OBDLink MX+ for my real time monitoring and code reading.

Last edited: