Odd Oil Color at Oil Filler Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I repeatedly keep getting a cream colored oily substance at my filler cap. When I pull the dip stick the oil is normal color, no indications of contaminant, normal level neither higher or lower. I checked and marked the radiator level and it stays consistent. Oil is Mobile One 5W-20.

Could I have a broken or plugged PCV valve causing this?

See picture.oil color.JPG

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would guess you do a lot of short trips. I'd take it for an hour's drive and see what happens.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure that the PCV valve is free. It should rattle when you shake it. You can clean it out with carb cleaner or brake cleaner spray. Make sure also that the breather hose on the other valve cover is seated in that valve cover and the hose is not cracked, sucking in outside air. You're getting moisture in the motor from somewhere.

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would guess you do a lot of short trips. I'd take it for an hour's drive and see what happens.

Guess you haven't seen my Odometer lately, I am a Road Warrior. Most trips are 4 hours or more mostly on the Interstates. Any other ideas, my neighbor's comment was excess idling time but the only idling I do is at traffic lights.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
What's the mileage? In the worst case you have a head gasket leak, and that water's coming from the coolant that's leaking into the crankcase. In the best case, it's just excess condensation. You can send the oil away for an analysis and they can check for coolant components in the oil.

The oil cap inside my 2000 often looked like that over the eyars and I never had any problems.

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the mileage? In the worst case you have a head gasket leak, and that water's coming from the coolant that's leaking into the crankcase. In the best case, it's just excess condensation. You can send the oil away for an analysis and they can check for coolant components in the oil.

The oil cap inside my 2000 often looked like that over the eyars and I never had any problems.

Yeah, I am hoping the head gaskets are OK because I don't see any water or coolant in the oil on the dipstick plus I topped off my radiator overflow reservoir to the top Cold mark and checked it every morning for the last 10 days with no change in cold start water level so it appears I am not losing any radiator fluid.

I have Amsoil in my other vehicles, I'll send in a sample for analysis.

Thanks, I should have thought about doing that.

Any other ideas out there?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess you haven't seen my Odometer lately, I am a Road Warrior. Most trips are 4 hours or more mostly on the Interstates. Any other ideas, my neighbor's comment was excess idling time but the only idling I do is at traffic lights.

Well that's not the issue then. I use my 06 F-150 to drive back and forth to work less than 2 miles, one way, and my fill cap often looks like that.

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 05 expy looks like that every time I open it. It's a ford thing. Just from condensation. Just wipe it out every once in awhile.

t_bois

Reaction score
It's not just a Ford thing. I have a Jeep with a 3.7 motor that does the same thing.

Condensation would be my guess unless your needing to top off your coolent often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev