Odd tire? Really on a new 2022 Exp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT350driver

Reaction score
My 2020 Limited Max has the Crosswind spare as well. Its Ford saving huge $$ installing a cheap Chinese spare.
Same size as the Hancock's that came on it.
I just put the Michelin Cross Contact 2's on 2 weeks ago and so far very happy with the handling and ride improvement noticed immediately.
You should be fine running that spare finishing a trip or waiting until its convenient to repair / replace your original....theses are not emergency only tires and they're not sped limited like those scary little space saver balloons you be see cars running down the highway at 75 MPH..clueless.

Arlin

Reaction score
The spare tire issue mentioned is typical for the last 20+ years or so. As a 77 year old, I recall back in the day new vehicle buyers could do a five tire rotation if desired as the spare tire and the wheel were often the same as the four on the vehicle. One advantage of the so called non-matching spare is that the spare tire can be a tougher, longer lasting version (say some nylon cord, other specs) for long term duty on the under vehicle rack and still be safe to use. I periodically crank my spare down on my two Expedition to check the air pressure, clean and inspect the tire and wheel. I even hit the spare wheel with some basic black paint if needed as the years go by. Echo the above comments that the tire diameters are nearly identical no matter the wheel size--see Tire Rack's website for O.D. specs on most all tires for Expedition from 17-22".

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have several hundred miles of towing on the spare tire, on the rear. It works just fine and other than not having an air pressure sensor you wouldn't know it was different while you are driving.

My spare has been on multiple times and it just so happens that half the times it has been when I was towing something.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So how do you do this on the side of the road with the one crppy jack in the car? lol. I know what you are saying, but we usually never have a spare jack when the tire goes down...
First, Put the jack under the front wheel and remove it. Then, Put the spare on that axle.

Next, put the jack under the rear tire that is flat. Last put the front tire on the rear that is flat.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, Put the jack under the front wheel and remove it. Then, Put the spare on that axle.

Next, put the jack under the rear tire that is flat. Last put the front tire on the rear that is flat.
But as others have noted (and is apparent from the screenshots and photos posted above), the spare provided is the same diameter and circumference, and has a higher load rating than the 4 that are on the car. So there should be no concern with that spare on any position. It is certainly not worth flip flopping tires around on the side of the road.