Odd tire? Really on a new 2022 Exp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Just discovered that the spare on my new 2022 exp max stealth has a spare that doesn’t match the set of running tires! What’s up with that??

This vehicle is brand new with 6k miles on it.

Anyone have this experience?

Did you take it back to the dealer and demand a match?

I have four 225/45 R22 Grabbers and my spare is a Crosswind A/T 275/65 R18.

If I have to change a flat this spare is going to make a heck of a rattle heading down the street with the other 3 Grabbers running.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were the same diameter as the other tires I probably wouldn't fuss but off the top of my head that tire is probably a couple inches taller than the existing. 4wd may not be too happy about that. Granted we have a 03's but my spares are the correct size on our navigator and expedition.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
I just put a call into the sales manager from the dealer that I purchased the vehicle from and he didn’t have an answer for me and frankly had never heard this one before. But he said if I measure the tire overall dimensions with the ones that I’m running I would probably find that they are roughly the same. And not to worry if I have to use them because these tires are only intended to get you off the road not use on a regular basis. He suspects that the production line put these particular spare tires on all of the expeditions and 150s

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just discovered that the spare on my new 2022 exp max stealth has a spare that doesn’t match the set of running tires! What’s up with that??

If I have to change a flat this spare is going to make a heck of a rattle heading down the street with the other 3 Grabbers running.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - which came standard with 20-inch wheels and tires (22-inch were optional).

After purchase, I checked the spare tire (not inflated correctly). It was an 18-inch steel wheel, with a different brand tire than the 20-inch tires.

I contacted my salesperson who initially said that the wrong spare was installed at the factory, and he would check further.

After a week, the salesperson contacted me and said the 18-inch spare was standard and would work with the 20-inch tires and wheels that were also standard. The vehicle’s window sticker stated the vehicle had a full-size spare.

I still do not think that the 18-inch spare is “full-size” when the vehicle has 20-inch wheels and tires standard.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as the overall diameter is the same what difference does it make how big the wheel is? It's just to get you to a tire shop to get things fixed. Only issues you'll run into is if the overall diameter of the tire is vastly different from what you are running. They aren't going to stuff another expensive wheel and tire under there.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Did you read it wrong? 225? Thats a 9" wide tire. Pretty small.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - which came standard with 20-inch wheels and tires (22-inch were optional).

After purchase, I checked the spare tire (not inflated correctly). It was an 18-inch steel wheel, with a different brand tire than the 20-inch tires.

I contacted my salesperson who initially said that the wrong spare was installed at the factory, and he would check further.

After a week, the salesperson contacted me and said the 18-inch spare was standard and would work with the 20-inch tires and wheels that were also standard. The vehicle’s window sticker stated the vehicle had a full-size spare.

I still do not think that the 18-inch spare is “full-size” when the vehicle has 20-inch wheels and tires standard.
The outer diameter of the tire is what matters. Not the wheel size. So long as the outer circumference is within 1” of the normal wheel everything will operate as it should.

MTB2022

Reaction score
I have a 2022 xlt with optional 20 inch wheels and tires. Spare is a steel wheel with 18" tire. It doesn't matter as long as the outside diameter is the same. If you ever noticed the sidewall height goes down as the rim size goes up. 18,20 and 22 wheel/tires all end up with approximately the same rolling diameter. This facilitates speedo calibration and rear axle gearing and power train programming.