Oil analysis as a predictor for cam phaser/timing chain/cam/follower issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 with 200k and have run synthetic and semi-syn (Motorcraft) 5W-20 at 5k intervals since I picked up the Bus. I've had regular oil analysis. A couple of comments - 1) Blackstone recommended I try 7500 mile interval from what they saw in the analysis and my driving habits, 2) No significant metals were present in the tests. "Your results may vary."

So, A) Try shortening intervals to 7500 B) I've seen no evidence that oil analysis can given indication of phaser or chain issues so far C) Granted you're in FL, but I'm not sure that I would run 10W-30 due to the small passages.

I'm doing this from my phone so I'll try to post my results later today. Hopefully it is of some help and interest.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One should expect opinions on forums...if one doesn't wish for candid opinions, one could always pay a master mechanic to tell you his......

The banter is to be expected my friend, no apology necessary, right? JE...I love that picture!!

Funny as heck!

Anyway, I knew you were walking into a minefield the same as you did but I also understand scientific method and looking for the predictors or future issues.

The guys here know that I build high perf 2 stroke engines and to get super high perf, one needs to spin them rather rabidly (yes, you read that correctly)....when my engine spins at 13,000 rpm, (your 4 stroke would be spinning 26,000rpm) and bad things happen very quickly but I intentionally overstress them to see where the fail-points are so that, exactly as you are trying to do, I'm able to watch for those fracture areas which become a looking glass.

Good luck brother,

jeff

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that the guys who know have chimed in, I'll say that whiles it's convenient to think oil passages closeup similarly to a radiator channel, they just don't do that without lots and lots of dirt. Any half-clean oil is going to flow w/o clogging up passages but let's keep in mind that engines are heavily "engineered" with goal of cost savings. The engineering in a perfect world has real world consequences when the "just enough", isn't enough due to some other issue cropping up.

Now, today, "cost savings" is calculated to include lower customer issues while saving weight/cost of each component in each assembly. It does no good for them to get a oil pump for free from the supplier if it causes massive warranty costs so all this is quantified both in monetary and cost production terms.

You didn't want comments bout your oil change intervals so I won't......but you do realize that filter goes into bypass in your engine, prob at 8000 or so? That known, it still takes a lot of abuse to beat a V8 to death, a lot more than 70K.

jeff
Absolutely about the filter! All this talk about the oil analysis and the filter is spent and restricting oil flow. Maybe have the 15,000 mi. filter flow tested and figure out how many miles you can go before compromising oil pressure and volume. Both are very important on these engines especially when it comes to cams as we all know. Keep the old oil in forever if you feel it checks out by analysis, but at least change the filter at sooner intervals.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The failure point in these engines appear to be the gaskets on the tensioners and the timing chain guides... am I correct on that? The gaskets leaks and reduce front oil pressure and the plastic guides fall apart probably due to mechanical or chemical changes in the plastic, and the degradation of elasticizers caused by heat.

Would be interesting to see what variables exist with the parts, their assembly and of course oil composition and its breakdown. Then there's the introduction of different types of operation and heat. And, too the game of chance, as no two engines are truly equal.

Never seen anything on this... would be nice to see some scientific insight. Certainly Ford Engineering knows everything there is to know about it.

Would also be valuable to start a thread on an F-150 site, and there are many more of them and some extremely knowledgeable mechanics, engineers and Ford designers owning and breaking them.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From just the posts on "longevity" on this forum over the past few days tell us that if we are lucky....5 or 6 out of 100 Expys will even make it to 200,000 and Expys are one of the longest!

Your results will vary.....

I agree with Train and the OP that finding these predictors would be invaluable to us as owners and more so for Ford.

My own experience is that once the traces of a failure are in the oil, the damage is done. You can see the evidence but there's no period of time between the appearance of evidence and the actual failure.

jeff

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From just the posts on "longevity" on this forum over the past few days tell us that if we are lucky....5 or 6 out of 100 Expys will even make it to 200,000 and Expys are one of the longest!

Your results will vary.....

I agree with Train and the OP that finding these predictors would be invaluable to us as owners and more so for Ford.

My own experience is that once the traces of a failure are in the oil, the damage is done. You can see the evidence but there's no period of time between the appearance of evidence and the actual failure.

jeff

Git 'er dun!!!!
There's a thread, somewhere on the interwebs, (can't remember where, Google is ur friend) mentioning the degradation/deterioration of the Puralator version of the Motorcraft FL500?oil filter (The effin same motorcraft filter that is recommended in 3.5 Ecoboost 2nd gen- possibly 1st gen too, but I don't care to verify) as a known problem with a certain "lot."
Puralator is the same company that produces the rebranded "Motorcraft" oil filter.
AFAIK there are zero published reports of ANY motorcraft branded oil filters for the same use - 3.5 Ecoboost. It strikes me a little more than weird, that essentially the exact same filter with possibly different paint and insignia, NEVER had ONE failure?????

Particulate matter being sent through the galley's and other passages within the engine, could easily lead to a FALSE reading with the "advanced" 2nd generation variable oil pump on Gen II's and cause almost instantaneous irreversible engine damage as a result.

There in lies my situation, for better or worse, no oil analysis could foretell of impending doom, unless the filter was immediately changed AND entire engine meticulously cleaned, (not likely).

I submit this, NOT as a bearer of doom and gloom, but simply as information. I do not believe if this problem (IF EVER confirmed by FORD) is ever brought to light, is widespread. I do believe it is a very real possibility based on information gleaned from professionals who most certainly will NOT, go public and support the assertions I've submitted here, simply because you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Sure there will still be the TROLL(s) who don't comprehend that this is at all possible, and assert taking a vehicle to TEST AND TUNE session(s) at a closed course, as "Racing and Abuse", but as the saying goes...agree to ****** disagree!!!!

EDIT....Just realised this thread did not originally coincide with the 4th generation Expedition, as such, my comments should be taken, with even LESS than the proverbial grain of salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, gents. Trainmaster - I had not yet learned of what you purport regarding gaskets - I'll try and dig further on that. Your explanation makes much more sense to me regarding oil pressure degradation due to a failing gasket and my local bud/shops explanation of damage witnessed in numerous vehicles (typically passenger bank, front) are the ones that wear/fail.

If that is the primary cause for these issues (pressure related cause anyway) then degraded oil pressure would likely not be noticed in this shunt line since it's metered and likely won't affect pump output pressure where measured. Of course, as I understand it our gauge is an idiot on/off 'switch' that moves a needle to a fixed point anyway, so the on board indication likely would not show in advance.

Does anyone know the makeup of the 'plastic' chain guide pieces?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If, in fact the pressure on this rail is metered (i.e. a small orifice on the feed side), then a ruptured gasket like that can have significant effects on pressure. It depends on total flow (design) through the line and how much extra flow these gasket leaks can allow.