Oil analysis as a predictor for cam phaser/timing chain/cam/follower issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way, but I severely discounted the idea of the '18 being "all new", to me it never really looked much different than the '15-'17 models. As such, I figured having the second generation 3.5 Ecoboost in the '18 they would have engineered away the problems plaguing the 1st generation of this engine. Unfortunately I should have dug deeper on the F-150 forums, prior to buying and I would have found plenty of information on what I suspect to be the gremlin present in my '18. I'd have bought a V8 crewcab with longbed, of some manufacturer instead of rolling the dice.

Don't miss construe my disappointment with crying, I'm not. I'm just sharing what I've learned after the fact, hopefully to other's benefit to have additional information to make their decision.

All manufacturers have problems, one year to the next there are recalls, TSB's, etc.

Honda has recently had problems with a "no start" condition with the keyless ignition system in the prior to now generation (2013-?) Accord. Yet my wife's '14 we bought new, now with almost 50k miles, has never had this affliction. Aside from Ford, I've never experienced a catastrophic failure, sooooo early in ownership. Overall I can only remember my 1992 z-28 having the need for a new tranny around 85000 miles, but never anything else 5.7 liter V8 was a boss, long after.

I had a Focus with the twin clutch tranny, it never went to the dragstrip, only used as a commuter car when we lived in North Texas, it too shit the bed around 6,500 miles, (tranny) was a 2012, also "all new"... coincidence?

Probably so, but I can't help but find it at least a little odd, that I'm 2 for 2 with Ford's, both had less than 10,000 miles, and they were new purchases, within a decade of each other.

My understanding is the gen 1 EcoBoost has a tendancy to stretch the timing chain as well as losing VCT phasers. I’ve also read this may be in part due to lack of oil pressure at hot idle.

To attempt to solve the timing chain stretch they went to dual chains on the gen 2 more like the 5.0 V8 and previous modular engines.

Last edited:

BillAlex

Reaction score
I am one of the biggest believers in Mobil One Synthetic. From the day my Expy's are new, Mobil One goes in them at 5W-20 (it's written on the oil filler cap). I ran "old Blue" 216,000 pulled the pan to see how the Rod Connectors looked and my mechanic thought I had a brand new engine in there. Here is the trick. Regular oil changes along with a high end filter. Period. That boys and girls is the key to success. now a word about Mobil's Twenty Thousand mile synthetic oil; It's a myth. It was rated on twenty thousand miles of highway driving (consumer reports). My buddy who designs and builds Indie 500 engines (at $75,000 a copy) who probably knows more about engines than Detroit says that Highway mileage at 70 mph steady is barely using ten percent of the engines wear and tear as compared to city driving. He stated that Highway mileage at 20,000 miles (or 15,000 miles as the OP states) is equivalent of changing the oil 1,500 to Two Thousand miles in the City. Also, if you look at the fine print that Mobil One puts on each box of 20,000 mile oil you will see a legal disclaimer. It reads "follow the Manufacturers guidelines". If you don't, it could void the warrantee. Not one single manufacturer out there recommends 20,000 mile oil changes. If you don't, the Warrantee is Null and Void.

This sort of reminds me of every time I buy a new computer and with it, a complete set of instructions. Like so many other not so bright highly educated idiots, I always put the damned thing together without first reading the instructions. The manufacturer goes so far as printing out a full color (sometimes leather bound) instructions called "an owners manual" for all new Expedition owners. In there, is complete instructions on how to maintain your Expedition and how many miles you should go before changing the oil. I for one, tend to believe them. But then again, I have been wrong before. I voted for the wrong person for President. You figure out which one that was and half of you out there will be right.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am also a firm believer in fully synthetic oils and mobile one is probably my favorite especially with its price from Walmart. I don't however believed 5w 20 is the best oil for any of these engines. Even the mechanic and the video that was posted specifically states he also recommends 5w 30 instead of 5w 20. He apparently does them all the time and he says he used to work at a dealer and do a lot of warranty work there.
I do feel that 5 W 30 will give greater engine longevity and fewer problems and in many cases especially and temperatures 40 degrees and above or somewhere around there, 10w 30 would even be better.
Of course the oil viscosity discussion is almost as debated as oil brand and synthetic vs standard oil. There are even people out there that feel the best oil for these engines is a 5w 40 full synthetic and I also believe that would be better than a 5w 20.
I am never one to tout that the manufacturer or the engineers that made it no more than I do for other people.
They work under a different set of parameters and their goals are different than some of us. As someone mentioned when you buy a car for the Long Haul your goals are different then the engineer that made it or the manufacturer.
If Ford knows more than everyone else then why do they have an engine out there with an epidemic problem a timing chain and cam phaser issues?
So either they really don't have all the answers, they don't know how to make them last longer, or they don't want to.
Manufacturers often live by the theory of
"good enough".
The goal is to get past the warranty and to not break too much sooner or last too much longer than the other competitor's products.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I am also a firm believer in fully synthetic oils and mobile one is probably my favorite especially with its price from Walmart. I don't however believed 5w 20 is the best oil for any of these engines. Even the mechanic and the video that was posted specifically states he also recommends 5w 30 instead of 5w 20. He apparently does them all the time and he says he used to work at a dealer and do a lot of warranty work there.
I do feel that 5 W 30 will give greater engine longevity and fewer problems and in many cases especially and temperatures 40 degrees and above or somewhere around there, 10w 30 would even be better.
Of course the oil viscosity discussion is almost as debated as oil brand and synthetic vs standard oil. There are even people out there that feel the best oil for these engines is a 5w 40 full synthetic and I also believe that would be better than a 5w 20.
I am never one to tout that the manufacturer or the engineers that made it no more than I do for other people.
They work under a different set of parameters and their goals are different than some of us. As someone mentioned when you buy a car for the Long Haul your goals are different then the engineer that made it or the manufacturer.
If Ford knows more than everyone else then why do they have an engine out there with an epidemic problem a timing chain and cam phaser issues?
So either they really don't have all the answers, they don't know how to make them last longer, or they don't want to.
Manufacturers often live by the theory of
"good enough".
The goal is to get past the warranty and to not break too much sooner or last too much longer than the other competitor's products.
3 reasons. Poor/lack of maintenance. The chains are too long(Chevy LS uses a different style). Stupid owners using the wrong oil(too heavy) or driving a quart or more low, on a regular basis. You don't see these problems however,in other manufactures similar VCT engines.

David Kuchler

Reaction score
Of course an oil analysis will identify an upcoming issue if they have been done from new, or have some baseline to compare too.
if they didn't provide tell tails signs of impending failure, people wouldn't pay the price.
Now identifying the impending failure is another story

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The real issue with the 5.4 is ****** engineering by over paid Ford engineer's that should know better than to install an under performing low volume, low pressure oil pump at the factory with the fix for that issue HERE, QUOTE, (305,000 Mile Ford 5.4L 3v Triton Engine Brought Back to Life After Melling M360HV Oil Pump Install) , ,AND then the Obama EPA regulation's that is driving all the high tec BS that every MFG is forced into trying to get to that "54.5 MPG CAFE standard by 2025" , so far with my 2007 @ only 120,000 miles ,no issues BUT I'm old school **** about changing oil at 5000 miles, oil's cheaper than barring's and shop labor, anyway a LOT of questions about all Ford vehicles can be found in this link , https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco/videos .

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAFE has tied the manufacturers arms behind their backs metaphorically. This is also very consumer driven, Sorry to be harsh but consumers are overwhelmingly stupid. When I’m in a dealer these stupid people eat it all up while they sign their life away for 6-8 years on a car they can’t afford. They can’t keep their cabinets full of food for the kids yet drive a $50,000 car. Or the others trade in or lease every 2 years so they don’t care about longevity or upkeep! These increasingly shallow people are just trading up to impress their deadbeat friends every few years. Vehicles are like phones now!

Last edited:

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More on this with an engine opened up, Ford 5.4L 3v Engine Noises You Shouldn’t Ignore: How To Tell When a Timing Job is Really Needed , .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69