Oil Change Gone Bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooge

Reaction score
Oil Change Gone Bad

RE : MY Pristine 2016 Expedition Eco Boost with 54000 miles

Got call from Goodyear shop that they did not put washer on filter during an oil change and needed to clean up the oil under the car before I picked it up
When I picked it up I noticed and took pictures of kitty litter over a lot of oil on the bay exit and in front of the shop
The owner assures me that there was no damage to the engine .I dont know extent of running before they noticed I am not sure

What should I do ? I worry about the life of the engine even though it runs

Can it be checked for damage?

Appreciate any thoughts or advice

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    339.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture.PNG 2.PNG
    Capture.PNG 2.PNG
    745.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Capture.PNG3.PNG
    Capture.PNG3.PNG
    779.7 KB · Views: 58

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Change Gone Bad

RE : MY Pristine 2016 Expedition Eco Boost with 54000 miles

Got call from Goodyear shop that they did not put washer on filter during an oil change and needed to clean up the oil under the car before I picked it up
When I picked it up I noticed and took pictures of kitty litter over a lot of oil on the bay exit and in front of the shop
The owner assures me that there was no damage to the engine .I dont know extent of running before they noticed I am not sure

What should I do ? I worry about the life of the engine even though it runs

Can it be checked for damage?

Appreciate any thoughts or advice

I would ask them to document in writing what happened.

You have taken pictures - good.

Begin a log and write everything down - with the time, date, and who you talked to or what was done (don’t assume you will accurately remember what happened).

Request the shop’s insurance company information.

I would contact their insurance company and file a claim.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I like 99White's recommendations above, because you really don't know what happened or if/how long the truck was operated without oil in it.

That being said, most likely they put the oil in, lowered the car and started it up and pulled it out. When they saw oil running out all over the floor they turned the car off, fixed the problem and cleaned it up. If that's what happened, you have no problem and no damage and maybe a little added rust proofing.

Have you learned that it's a matter of when, and not if chain stores and franchises screw you over one way or another? A Goodyear franchisee has no business changing oil in a car you care about.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like 99White's recommendations above, because you really don't know what happened or if/how long the truck was operated without oil in it.

That being said, most likely they put the oil in, lowered the car and started it up and pulled it out. When they saw oil running out all over the floor they turned the car off, fixed the problem and cleaned it up. If that's what happened, you have no problem and no damage and maybe a little added rust proofing.

Have you learned that it's a matter of when, and not if chain stores and franchises screw you over one way or another? A Goodyear franchisee has no business changing oil in a car you care about.

+1.

I had a similar experience at STS with my previous vehicle. I ended up with an engine compartment with oil everywhere, but no damage to the engine afaik.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why I began doing my own oil changes on my Expedition. I simply don't trust mechanics. After repeatedly having oil drip onto my driveway after changes, I decided to tackle this myself. I heard the filter was difficult to reach but that's not true at all. Apart from removing the screws for the felt cover, it wasn't anymore labor intensive than any other car I've done. My oil filter was barely screwed on and released with the slightest torque.

bws2015

Reaction score
I had my oil changed one time and received it back with a greasy hand print on the hood and screws for the felt cover were loose causing a noise when going over bumps. I do the job myself and keep my receipts.

OP
OP
N

Nooge

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies ... I deducted similar likely hoods as all who wrote and that is that the engine was run with oil leaking. What I do know is it all started with a filter without a gasket and quite a bit of oil was on the ground from leak in the back of the shop and the front . The owner admitted there was a lot under the vehicle as well. I do not know if some of the oil was added and leaked again after the error was discovered and what happens to an engine leaking oil profusely after say 5 minutes ie does an oil light alarm come on?
The owner tells me the car suffered no damage and it is running but what I had hoped was that some would weigh in on is there any way to tell if the engine was damaged ? or will I find out later that the engine life after 50000 miles will be shortened ? will the car leak oil now ? I never added oil in between regular on time changes

I have no problem requesting insurance involvement but I am unsure of proof of damage or a course of action to insist on

I would be grateful to thoughts on that

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There is just about no way to gauge the damage, if any. It could have been running for an hour with no oil in it or for two minutes. They could have noticed when it began clamoring after running with no oil. Or the turbo bearings could have been starved for oil. There certainly should be no leaks now. I don't know if these motors are protected to shut down if oil pressure drops. If they are, that would probably avoid damage. Maybe someone here knows?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies ... I deducted similar likely hoods as all who wrote and that is that the engine was run with oil leaking. What I do know is it all started with a filter without a gasket and quite a bit of oil was on the ground from leak in the back of the shop and the front . The owner admitted there was a lot under the vehicle as well. I do not know if some of the oil was added and leaked again after the error was discovered and what happens to an engine leaking oil profusely after say 5 minutes ie does an oil light alarm come on?
The owner tells me the car suffered no damage and it is running but what I had hoped was that some would weigh in on is there any way to tell if the engine was damaged ? or will I find out later that the engine life after 50000 miles will be shortened ? will the car leak oil now ? I never added oil in between regular on time changes

I have no problem requesting insurance involvement but I am unsure of proof of damage or a course of action to insist on

I would be grateful to thoughts on that

I don't think there is anyway to know short of getting the oil drained and sent for testing by a lab like Blackstone. Excessive wear may show up as metals in the test. The shop likely fixed the leak and topped off, rather than draining. You could purchase a warranty for peace of mind...these engines are expensive to repair anyway.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do change my own oil, but worked at a Goodyear store in the early 80s as a mechanic. Standard procedure was to lower the car, start it, and immediately check for leaks. It really depends in how methodical the person was. I am surprised the mechanic didn't feel it as the filter would have suddenly been tight from metal to metal contact. With no gasket, it could have lost a quart every couple of seconds. What happens more often is the mechanic fails to verify that the old gasket didn't remain on the engine when the filter was removed. In that case, it could run for a short time before the double gaskets blow out. Either way, 99WhiteC5Coupe's response is the best. Document everything carefully and get their insurance information. Given the reputation of Ford's variable timing valve trains that are super sensitive to lubrication issues, there could be a valid case for concern.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01