Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treagan82

Reaction score
I have 274k on the clock, been using mobil 1 synthetic for the last 90k. I burn a ton of oil, like 1/2 a quart a week. Anyone else seen oil consumption like this? Any fix outside the engine block that I could try?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
.... what weight oil are you using ? Are you seeing much blue smoke out of the tail pipe ?

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check pcv.. can cause oil consumption. Blue smoke right at start are the valve seals but sounds like not happening. Also use a good oil filter wix, or Motorcraft. Most important and sounds like you do is keep on eye on level and keep adding. Then you can get fancy maybe pull the fuel pump fuse and see if it crank sound is even.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok… I have an ‘04 and a ‘16. So, I might be able to give you some guidance. That lean bank code is referring to too much air, and not enough fuel (lean). To compensate for the air it will dump more fuel; thus, making fuel mileage even crappier. Read the code again to find which bank/ cylinder it’s referring to. This will help you on the journey to the PCV leak. My leak was coming from the PCV valve/ hose assembly. I call it an assembly because it’s made up of a PCV valve, and a PCV loop that comes together. Can’t get it from the auto part store. One of the hoses was contacting a hard surface that rubbed a hole through it.

Oh, as far as the oil consumption goes… I just have the daughter keep an eye on it. Probably burns approximately a quart in about 2-3 weeks I’m guessing. Doesn’t smoke, nor does it leak. It’s got approximately 295k in it. There are two culprits that come to kind… valve seals allowing small amounts of oil to leak down into the cylinders which get burned off quickly after the initial start of the day. Or, worn piston rings that allow small amounts of oil to enter the combustion process where small amounts get burned off until it becomes noticeable.

Attachments

• 8203634A-CA4C-45D8-85AC-37072B66A7D8.png
    8203634A-CA4C-45D8-85AC-37072B66A7D8.png
    977.3 KB · Views: 9

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PCV and/or normal engine wear are the main possible reasons here. I have an 04 w 144k miles. burns 1-2 quarts every 3k miles. No blue smoke or other obvious reasons. I replaced my pcv valve a couple years ago, but it didn’t help. A couple weeks ago I got the lean code. After years of replacing pcv hoses and elbows etc piece by piece, I paid the $50 for a new pcv assembly (valve+hosing) from Ford.parts.com, which I should have done from the beginning. Arrived overnight, free shipping. The cheap hosing and elbows I had been buying from autozone didn’t fit together well and wore out quickly and had holes in them, causing vacuum leaks. The new Ford assembly fit tight and solved the lean code. In your case replacing the pcv assembly might solve both of your issues. side note, the lean code can also be caused by a toasted intake manifold, which happened to me last year. but that was different than what you are dealing with because it also had a giant coolant leak. Good times!