Oil in intercooler- how much is “normal”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you HMay for the update. If you add the driver side catch can, that would provide a way to quantify the amount of oil going through the driver side turbo vs not going though it. Obviously, less would be better. I saw the F150 videos where they drill a small hole in the factory Intercooler, near the bottom corner of the plastic inlet manifold, but that does not sound appealing to me.

OP
OP
M

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed the Mishimoto dual catch can before leaving for a trip through New England with our travel trailer in tow. We’re half way through the trip, so I’ll report back on how much oil I get out of the driver’s side in another week. I should be at about 1,200 miles with it installed by that point.

3D719462-C5E2-4B41-8F6B-8CC5E17D4534.jpeg

Knut

Reaction score
I've been looking into this also. Looking forward to see what you find.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently did my oil change and say the same time I pulled the plug off of my mishimoto intercooler. I was surprised, after close to 10k miles on the intercooler, I had zero oil or moisture for that matter. I do have a jlt catch can on the passenger side though. So I'm in a pretty dry climate, could humidity be making it worse for some and not others? Just wondering.

OP
OP
M

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after a little more than 2,000 miles I pulled the catch cans to see how much fluid had been collected. Pics are attached below. I was surprised at how little had accumulated both in the larger PCV (passenger side) can and the smaller CCV (driver side) can. Still, I’m glad to have peace of mind knowing this stuff isn’t getting routed back through the intake, and in the case of the CCV side not going through the turbo and intercooler.

CCV
99459A6E-4EC9-43CC-A88D-A74B1175EA0C.jpeg
PCV
42130805-C2D9-4BF4-97B9-DAA61B6FA167.jpeg

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after a little more than 2,000 miles I pulled the catch cans to see how much fluid had been collected. Pics are attached below. I was surprised at how little had accumulated both in the larger PCV (passenger side) can and the smaller CCV (driver side) can. Still, I’m glad to have peace of mind knowing this stuff isn’t getting routed back through the intake, and in the case of the CCV side not going through the turbo and intercooler.

CCV
View attachment 69568
PCV
View attachment 69569
Thanks for the photos on this!

bcb97

Reaction score
Thank you HMay for the update. If you add the driver side catch can, that would provide a way to quantify the amount of oil going through the driver side turbo vs not going though it. Obviously, less would be better. I saw the F150 videos where they drill a small hole in the factory Intercooler, near the bottom corner of the plastic inlet manifold, but that does not sound appealing to me.
This was only on the 11-14 Ecoboosts F150s. This is not needed on the 2015 and up. Ford changed the design of the CAC, air intake, etc. to accommodate the CAC condensation issues that were going on with the early Ecoboosts. We had to do this on my father in laws 11 Ecoboost. My 16 has been running great and has never had the condensation issue. We live in Mississippi so humidity is an issue here.