Oil Leak…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgh_expy

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster…

Walked out to the driveway yesterday and saw a large oil stain under my 2018 Expy.

Checked the engine bay and didn’t see any oil on the block or around the filter. When I crawled under the vehicle there was significant oil on the plug, bottom of the oil pan, and on top of the skid plate.

I checked the plug and it was tight, so stumped as to where the oil may be leaking.

Any ideas or has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks!2BBE9434-EFCD-4E70-8B4A-7CCDA3C94C31.jpeg5E6FDE7E-4013-44D8-A8B4-6E78BB2D5D14.jpeg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That buildup of sludge means it's been leaking for quite some time. Perhaps the silicone applied during assembly on the plastic oil pan's mating flange is leaking.

OP
OP
P

pgh_expy

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll investigate that.

What’s strange is that I check the oil level often and have never had a low oil situation. Even now, it’s at just under the midpoint of the dipstick.

Are the plastic oil pans a common failure point? I’ll have the seal checked but wonder if anyone has seen hairline cracks.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does the other sides of the oil pan look? Any wetness going all the way upwards? They are known to leak where the upper plastic meets the aluminum section but from the photos, this just looks like your drain plug is leaking very slowly. These plastic pans have a big green rubber o-ring on the yellow plastic drain plug that wears out after a few oil changes. You can get the o-ring alone from the dealer but better off just getting a new drain plug that comes with it since they get brittle over time.

ac565923593d6c4e0cd4663d0ce6fa88.jpg

OP
OP
P

pgh_expy

Reaction score
Thanks for the image and detail, I will do a closer inspection in the morning and let you guys know what I find.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And spray that all that gunk down with some brake clean, or engine degreaser. Get it off and let it dry real good. replace the plug. And then get under there EVERY DAY. If it is a slow leak, and not coming from the drain plug, it will be back and you are more likely to find it if you are looking every day for the first signs of “new” sludge buildup.

Is it under warranty still? If so, this is something they should be taking care of.