Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cozyjhoan

Reaction score
Hello guys. I have a 04 Ford Expedition 5.4 and I am getting some sort of leak but i can't find the exact name of this part. It is located next to the oil pan and behind the oil pressure sensor as you can see. If any of you guys can help me out I would appreciate it. I will provide an image and circle the exact part. Thanks IMG_8194.jpeg

2WheelWillie

Reaction score
Looks like the motor mount to me, but I doubt it is leaking. Usually the are made or hard rubber. Ford calls them:
Insulator Assy - Engine Support Insulator
Picture is disorienting. Is that on the driver side? Looks like oil is leaking from the sensor or oil filter adapter and blowing back as you drive down the road.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah looks like it's just coming from the oil filter and running back. Clean the area off with some degreaser or carb cleaner spray and make sure your oil filter is snug and recheck it in a week or so to see if you can isolate the cause of the leak. Are you using a Motorcraft 820 filter ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cozyjhoan

Reaction score
Looks like the motor mount to me, but I doubt it is leaking. Usually the are made or hard rubber. Ford calls them:
Insulator Assy - Engine Support Insulator
Picture is disorienting. Is that on the driver side? Looks like oil is leaking from the sensor or oil filter adapter and blowing back as you drive down the road.

Yes that is the driver side. I was thinking it was leaking at the oil filter adapter at first but that's where i saw the leak coming from so i just assumed it was from there. but I'll clean it and double check. Thank you.

OP
OP
C

cozyjhoan

Reaction score
Yeah looks like it's just coming from the oil filter and running back. Clean the area off with some degreaser or carb cleaner spray and make sure you oil filter is snug and recheck it in a week or so to see if you can isolate the cause of the leak. Are you using a Motorcraft 820 filter ?

Yes i am currently using a Motorcraft 820 filter. I have a feeling It is coming from the filter i just wasn't sure since all the oil is dripping from that part and not the actual oil filter itself. I will clean it off and check to be positive and tighten it a bit more if i have to. Thank you

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 2004 engine mounts are liquid filled - hydraulic engine mounts. It could very well be the mount leaking. My tire shop told me mine were leaking years ago. I thought it was BS until I looked them up. FWIW, I still haven't replaced my mounts.