Oil pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doehunter

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition with the 5.4 V8. About 120K miles.
Lately I've noticed a few times that the oil pressure doesn't come up when I start the engine.
1st let me say, I don't think it's actually a gage. Its the stock indicator in my dash that LOOKS like a gage. Maybe it's just a pressure switch?

The oil level is fine. (it's a little dark and probably needs changing)
If I increase RPM's, the pressure comes right up, and then goes all the way back down when I get off the gas. After it warms up, everything is normal.
The engine doesn't make any unusual noises. Runs fine.
I'm afraid this might be a sign of bad things coming?
What do you think?

OP
OP
D

doehunter

Reaction score
After searching, I see someone with similar symptoms saying it's the oil pressure switch.
I guess I'll change it out this weekend, when I change the oil.
Next up is the check engine light is on, codes said something about pcv/ egr, valve or hose or something.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably the switch.
For the codes, check the rubber elbow on the back of the throttle body that goes to the PCV valve. The elbows are notorious for failing.

gschwoyer

Reaction score
Sounds like the switch. I just had the same problem with my 2000 5.4. Switch was about $10 or so at Advance Auto. It's located next to your oil filter. I found it easiest to get to it from underneath. Go just behind the front diff. and look up towards your filter. I used a long needle nose pliers to get the plug off. Have an extension or two, a universal and a 1-1/16" (IIRC) deep socket handy. Pretty easy job.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its for sure the oil sending unit or switch. I had my gauge do the same thing. It will flip from normal to 0 pressure like 5 times before it stabalized. Its like a $15 part. Its located under the block above the front axle(4x4). I believe its toward the driver side. Its a small ass gap to get in there. I used a deep socket with a universal joint and two extenders. Oil will dump out when u remove it so be ready. Its not alot though so dont worry. You prob wont have to add any.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford