On cold start hearing rattle and clonking from front suspension area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjy168

Reaction score
Hey guys anyone observed a loose clonking, but not a metal on metal sound. Like a loose metal against rubber sound from the front suspension in cold starts?
I keep hearing it in the mornings and it goes away after about 5 - 10 miles of driving. But it sounds unsettling though. Every bump will make that sound and it's definitely coming from the front suspension.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Xlt? If so you have blown a shock...thats how my shock announced its death

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 of my 3 blown struts made the same clunking sound. I'd start there, as noted above...

josedirte4

Reaction score
@ jjy168 did you ever find the issue? I have a 2020 max with CCD and my driver side will make a strange noise over bumps when it's colder outside on the first drive of the day. It will also go away after a few minutes. It almost sounds as if the suspension is stiff.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I have the same sound in my 19 platinum with CCD. Only when cold and goes away after a few minutes of drinking. Any irregularities in the road amplifies the sound.

I read another similar thread and someone mentioned a body seam making contact but I don’t see how that would go away. Resolving it required pulling entire off frame.

rndlmn4

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have the 3.5L EcoBoost, it could be coming the engine. I follow the 'EcoBoost 3.5L Enthusiats' page on FaceBook and that's what 80% of the post are about; cold start rattle and cam phasers. The cam phasers operate off of oil pressure, and when the oil drains down after sitting, the phasers can rattle until they build enough pressure. Most of the people in that group have F150s, but it's the same engine in the Expedition. This issue can occur anywhere from 50K miles to well over 100K miles. It varies based on how the vehicle is used, i.e. towing, off-roading, daily commutes. Hopefully it's not, but don't overlook this possibility too long. I recommend following that Facebook page, if for no other reason than getting an education on the topic.

rndlmn4

Reaction score
Here's another thread from this forum that you may want to read.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have the 3.5L EcoBoost, it could be coming the engine. I follow the 'EcoBoost 3.5L Enthusiats' page on FaceBook and that's what 80% of the post are about; cold start rattle and cam phasers. The cam phasers operate off of oil pressure, and when the oil drains down after sitting, the phasers can rattle until they build enough pressure. Most of the people in that group have F150s, but it's the same engine in the Expedition. This issue can occur anywhere from 50K miles to well over 100K miles. It varies based on how the vehicle is used, i.e. towing, off-roading, daily commutes. Hopefully it's not, but don't overlook this possibility too long. I recommend following that Facebook page, if for no other reason than getting an education on the topic.
You appear to be confusing the cam phaser rattle with suspension and/or body contact noises that the others are trying to troubleshoot. The cams are well documented on this forum.

For the clunk issue I’d look at driveshaft slip joints and any rotational area on the front end. My front end clunk, while very soft, was due to worn out front sway bar end links. The end links looked fine but apparently had enough internal play to shift when first moving and then settle in.