Onboard Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane Goddard

Reaction score
Someone posted a train horn install here with an air compressor. Search for train horn.

This might me the thread I’m thinking about.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/train-horn-on-the-expedition.42287/

That's my Expedition with the train horn. I have the Viair 444 compressor and a 5 gallon tank (as well as an Airchime K5LA train horn) mounted underneath the rear of the Expedition. If you are thinking about it, do it! I love having it on there and use it more than you'd think. If I see people about to pay to put air in their tires I'll go over there and let them use my air.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not looked, but I was hoping somewhere near the rear hitch area would have some sort of place to install it. The pick-ups that I have seen it installed on are on the frame below the area between the driver and passenger seats.

Again, I don't know how crowded the underbelly is of an Expedition versus a Super Duty truck.

I haven't looked really hard but there seems to be a lot of free space under the expedition. What I haven't been able to determine is how much road spatter different areas experience. I don't want an area where there will be a lot of road spray hitting the compressor in the winter. I do think there are some available spaces under the expedition though.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's my Expedition with the train horn. I have the Viair 444 compressor and a 5 gallon tank (as well as an Airchime K5LA train horn) mounted underneath the rear of the Expedition. If you are thinking about it, do it! I love having it on there and use it more than you'd think. If I see people about to pay to put air in their tires I'll go over there and let them use my air.

Do you have a specific post showing the placement of the tank and air compressor? I see you removed the spare tire for the horns. I can't afford removing the spare, especially with traveling.

Any further details that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
remove your 2nd and 3rd row seats and bolt this down, you'll be the envy of us all!:party36:

DXCMV7518075_1.jpg

Shane Goddard

Reaction score
Do you have a specific post showing the placement of the tank and air compressor? I see you removed the spare tire for the horns. I can't afford removing the spare, especially with traveling.

Any further details that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I did not make a specific post, but I can take some pictures for you in the next day or two and post them up.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a good twin I bought off Amazon that works great. Paid about 125$ for it. Runs directly off the battery, but keep the expy running while I use it as it draws some juice. It’s quiet and fast. I also have a portable 5 gal air tank I keep with me most of the time. I’ve had no issues with either item once I set them up. The compressor is portable but can be permanent mounted.

B1842190-BE4F-48AC-A814-E7F80510CADD.jpeg

bwhinnen

Reaction score
A little thread necromancy here.

I did not make a specific post, but I can take some pictures for you in the next day or two and post them up.

Researching the same thing at the moment. I like the ARB compressors the best and would like to use one of those. I’ve not looked at spaces to mount it yet.

Just wanted to see if you had any install pics of the compressor and tank (as cool as the k5 sounds, it’s not on my list)