Ordered an intercooler!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
@rjdelp7 Cool.

@LokiWolf don't feed the trolls...
He must be starved for attention at home and needs to feel good about himself somewhere. I've never seen someone so concerned about someone else's buying decisions. Could you imagine ordering a beer in front of this guy? :cheers:
You Ecoboost guys are babies and can't take any criticism. I am sorry, putting an aftermarket intercooler on a 2018 Expedition to get a few(maybe) HP is silly. It's a 5000lb SUV. The engine/camshaft is designed to tow and save gas, not race. It has tiny 2" turbos and single exhaust. It's a people mover, that can tow a boat. Spending hundreds putting a CAI and intercooler does not justify the cost or risk of voiding a powertrain warranty. There is nothing wrong with playing devils advocate. You don't have to 'own' one to comment. I have read plenty about ford engines. Ford designed the Ecoboost to get V8 power with V6 gas mileage. Even that is disputable.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You Ecoboost guys are babies and can't take any criticism. I am sorry, putting an aftermarket intercooler on a 2018 Expedition to get a few(maybe) HP is silly. It's a 5000lb SUV. The engine/camshaft is designed to tow and save gas, not race. It has tiny 2" turbos and single exhaust. It's a people mover, that can tow a boat. Spending hundreds putting a CAI and intercooler does not justify the cost or risk of voiding a powertrain warranty. There is nothing wrong with playing devils advocate. You don't have to 'own' one to comment. I have read plenty about ford engines. Ford designed the Ecoboost to get V8 power with V6 gas mileage. Even that is disputable.
You bet if I posted a question about adding Nitrous to my Expedition, there would be responses questing my sanity.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You bet if I posted a question about adding Nitrous to my Expedition, there would be responses questing my sanity.

Hahaha! Nope, Don’t care. Don’t go in the areas I can’t help with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

YOU REALLY don’t understand these motors, or turbo motors in general do you?

An upgraded IC on these motors is about WAY more than racing. It is about more and safer power under all conditions. Running up a grade in 90 Degrees pulling your boat, upgraded IC could prevent the motor from pulling power because the MCT(Manifold Charge Temp) got too high. Get you up the grade with out heating up things, and faster most likely.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about we make a copy/pasteable fine print we put on every post about engine mods. What are we an advertising agency with a legal department? C'mon man... I equate this to more of a back yard with a camp fire shooting the... well you get the picture. If you are a big enough nerd* to search and hang out on an internet forum to discuss inner workings of cars and are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a modification do you not think that we are aware of the risks associated with said modifications? The ones listed on the websites of most said products? Read the crowd, know your audience... If someone comes on here and says how this is their first post, first turbo vehicle and where is the button to crank the boost I for one would be the first one to mention there are drawbacks to tuning. There are plenty to go around... shorter service intervals, you need to be aware of EGTs, you shouldn't beat on it and quickly turn off the engine, its easier to heat soak the intake system if you don't upgrade it for the higher boost levels... but as we all know there are also benefits as well. To some, those out weigh the drawbacks. That doesn't mean you have to jump down our throats every thread about mods that involve the drivetrain. You clearly don't know much about turbo vehicles and I would be weary of them too... They create a crapload of heat and are under more stress. Which is why they are built and sound more and more like diesels... We also have over 20 years of HORRIBLE domestic turbo vehicles (mostly due to underwhelming fuel systems not able to keep up) before Ford got smart and bought Volvo to bring in the pros to help develop the ecoboost brand.

Do you think there is not an expedition out there with spray? Chances are it wasn't their first or last time throwing fog on his/her soccer mobile. We are here to guess test and revise all we can about a common topic... in our case the 4th generation full size SUV platform built by Ford. Just let it go once in a while. If it appears someone is unknowingly walking into something they don't realize I'll be the first to back you up. but until that happens... keep scrolling if you aren't curious how much hp you can get out of an intake and intercooler in the middle of summer on a turbo vehicle. Also, peak numbers of a single dyno run don't tell the full story. Do 5 pulls in a row in the summer months and see if that factory inercooler can keep up. Most can't. I will be towing heavy loads in 100+ degree heat... to me keeping heat out of my engine is important.

*nerds make the world go round and I use that as a compliment...

Sorry @302Xplorer...
We are looking forward to hearing what specifically didn't fit and what exactly it is going to take to make it work. Or if you ended up going another route altogether...

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
YOU REALLY don’t understand these motors, or turbo motors in general do you?

An upgraded IC on these motors is about WAY more than racing. It is about more and safer power under all conditions. Running up a grade in 90 Degrees pulling your boat, upgraded IC could prevent the motor from pulling power because the MCT(Manifold Charge Temp) got too high. Get you up the grade with out heating up things, and faster most likely.

What wrong with the factory intercooler Ford installed? Your saying Ford designed and installed an engine that can't run in hot weather. How much power does cooler air make? The intercooler lowers the temp of the hot compressed air off the turbo. 100+ degree air does burn 87 octane well. The 51mm turbos only produce 12lb of boost. Just changing the intercooler won't make much difference. All the high end super cars (ZR1 Vette, Shelby GT500 and Hellcat) are now running superchargers.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@rjdelp7
Feel free to start a new thread and tag the wolf... That way you can bench race all you want and not prevent what could be a very useful thread to the readers of this forum.

Also if you frame things as a question instead of combative arguments you will get better information out of people and they won't just think you are a jerk.

About those superchargers... Looks like they need more cooling too. It also looks like they figured out that people don't want to have to worry about oil temp when turning off the engine. Not as important on an SC but apparently FCA thought it was necessary. VW/Audi has been doing this for over 15 years in their 2.0T.
Screenshot_20200602-124525_Chrome.jpg

Forced induction no matter how it's created (belt or exhaust) heat will always be a major factor. Not only are you asking a 3.5L to handle the explosions of a 4-5L or more, due to physics the air itself heats up as it is compressed.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What wrong with the factory intercooler Ford installed? Your saying Ford designed and installed an engine that can't run in hot weather. How much power does cooler air make? The intercooler lowers the temp of the hot compressed air off the turbo. 100+ degree air does burn 87 octane well. The 51mm turbos only produce 12lb of boost. Just changing the intercooler won't make much difference. All the high end super cars (ZR1 Vette, Shelby GT500 and Hellcat) are now running superchargers.

@AKentPhoto Nailed it! No, most Ford Intercoolers are generally undersized. The motor pulls power when the MCT's get too hot, still plenty of power in most cases, and most will never notice. Cooler air makes A LOT more power. A better intercooler is the single most important mod you can do to decrease MCT's.

In the logging that was done earlier in this thread You will see a 26 Degree differential between IAT, and IAT2(MCT) under light load, and 31 Degree differential under heavy load. Both of those do not take ambient in to account, because heat soak is a factor. A really good IC can see somewhere between Ambient and IAT for the MCT under light load. We will see if this one delivers those kinds of improvements, just being close the IAT is GREAT. How do I know this? Because I have done the logging on my now 5th Ecoboost owned vehicle. Not just internet reading, actual hands on....

Where did you get the 12PSI? Yet another example that you have ZERO real world experience on these Motors. These are Torque demand Strategy based motors. They are not limited in PSI by a hard number. It might take 12PSI in 32 degree weather to make the demanded torque, and it might take 16PSI at 90 degrees. I have seen peaks stock around 16-17 once the Engine bay is heat soaked, on a warm sunny day. Tuned, even higher.

@302Xplorer Sorry for the hijack, and feeding the Trolls. Looking forward to see how the project is going.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
@rjdelp7
Feel free to start a new thread and tag the wolf... That way you can bench race all you want and not prevent what could be a very useful thread to the readers of this forum.

Also if you frame things as a question instead of combative arguments you will get better information out of people and they won't just think you are a jerk.

About those superchargers... Looks like they need more cooling too. It also looks like they figured out that people don't want to have to worry about oil temp when turning off the engine. Not as important on an SC but apparently FCA thought it was necessary. VW/Audi has been doing this for over 15 years in their 2.0T.
View attachment 36363

Forced induction no matter how it's created (belt or exhaust) heat will always be a major factor. Not only are you asking a 3.5L to handle the explosions of a 4-5L or more, due to physics the air itself heats up as it is compressed.
The Hellcat uses the cars air conditioner, and not for cool down.

OP
OP
302Xplorer

302Xplorer

Reaction score
**UPDATE**

After some cutting and re-cutting, the new intercooler is in. At first I cut the factory box to line up with the amount I observed removed in the snap off version of the 2019 F150 video install. b6bfd480d6247482c07ad02da0c945f5.jpg38e5b03f3e0e8b00ee469bb25424063d.jpg808bf6d06bfff11fca54bb2c8a3336cc.jpg

The first 3 sides removed:13fb75c34443f509bece7bb7beb33aa9.jpg

All sides Removed: 938b6dcde580be50394b2f09ad87f18a.jpg

It still wasn’t to my liking so I unplugged the automatic shutters and cut the whole thing out!c7309e90d493dbd7de9b63b005a6eba8.jpg

Intercooler comparison:b5b4b7110f337b6392871168dd4a30f7.jpg1a3c7a7883046c90ba8202514ab1bea0.jpg

Up and in for the last time!92de7359520aa92b9c031b7d12424fee.jpg