Ordering parts using online retailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NAPA are crooks. We have a bunch of them here and while the corporate-owned are usually more competitive than the franchised locations, I can usually even get a given part at Advance for less than any of the NAPA locations.
Where I said local as in "Napa or wherever" included Advance. But can you always get a decent front end part from Advance like a Moog ball joint? That is a question, not a debate as I am not up on what line Advance carries.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where I said local as in "Napa or wherever" included Advance. But can you always get a decent front end part from Advance like a Moog ball joint? That is a question, not a debate as I am not up on what line Advance carries.

Moog is a bit of a crapshoot these days, but Advance does sell the brand. I purchased 3 Moog wheel hub assemblies at one point and had 3 different brands with 3 identical boxes/SKUs. I had to get Advance to pricematch as they wanted $115 more than RockAuto/Amazon.

OP
OP

2011EL

Reaction score
Minor update: received email notifications this morning from Haag Ford. They shipped all 6 control arms today. They used 4 different boxes. The 2 large lower control arms for the front went into separate individual boxes. I'm already feeling much, much better about this order.

On a side note, still waiting for FedEx to deliver the returns to RockAuto and FordPartsGiant so they can process my refunds. FedEx apparently chose the Pony Express for these returns as they're scheduled to be delivered somewhere around 10 days after I dropped them off.

The Chairman

Reaction score
As y’all have discovered, RockAuto is a software application. They do not have any warehouses or staff. There is no one to talk to.
You place an order online and the app sends the order to the closest warehouse that has the item in stock, who ships it to you. I have received many parts I ordered through them that arrived directly from the Ford Parts Depot in Michigan!
You have to get a return authorization (RA) to return parts to include a special shipping label. If you simply refuse delivery or ship back to where it came from, the SW Application will not like you very much as that’s not in its logic.
I have been using them for years for many parts and they are exactly right about 95% of the time. The return process is on-line and you take the RA form to a shipping place and they wrap and tag it for you. But RockAuto will split the shipping cost with you (which is much cheaper that you shipping it back yourself).
Happy Parts Hunting!

probstct

Reaction score
I am new to the Ford Expy and I'm learning ALOT from this forum and YouTube.
I have been watching FordTechMakulocoI have learned so much and he seems to be an Upfront Mech....
He also lists the resources he uses and has used over the years.
He is VERY though with his videos as well.

wingrider

Reaction score
I've had great service from Tasca buying discounted online. I started out and go back and forth shopping price with the autonation Ford dealer White Bear Lake Ford in MN. I can drop links but I'm away from my laptop that has the direct links. I have also started with I think it's Friendly Ford in Nevada. I've been trying to save on shipping finding a Ford dealer that sells at a discount online with better shipping to me on the west coast. Tasca can be tough on that one, but not if you're on the east coast.

I have never ordered from Rock Auto but have tried a couple times. Their web ordering process is a mess for me and I have just written them off. Plus I have neve been confident that the parts they sell are branded or off brand.

OP
OP

2011EL

Reaction score
I have also started with I think it's Friendly Ford in Nevada.
That's funny. I bought an F150 from Friendly Ford in Las Vegas 12 years ago. They were pretty good to work with. I've had great luck buying parts from Haag Ford in Indiana and Lakeland Ford in Florida. Both are awesome to work with and reasonable on shipping to Houston. I found them thanks to Google. I'm sure there are many other dealers offering parts at discounted prices.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
I've had two poor experiences with Rock Auto and like the OP, discovered that there was absolutely ZERO way to communicate with them, and have never purchased from them again. I have had good luck with FordPartsGiant, even with heavier suspension parts. I have also had good luck with MOOG parts from independent parts dealers. Clearly, as with the OP, YMMV. Also, look into Heller Ford, El Paso, IL and Apple Ford in Apple Valley, MN; stellar transactions with both, and you get to talk to a live human being.

OP
OP

2011EL

Reaction score
So, the control arms came in from Haag Ford yesterday. Overall, very disappointed. UPS dropped off the first box to me. Wow, did it look bad.
20211214_142402.jpg

This gnarly box contained the rear lower control arms. No protection at all for the ball joints. Not cool at all.

I asked the delivery guy for the other 3 packages. He said he was helping another driver as this box "was too heavy for her". Well, it wasn't much heavier to be honest, but that's ok.

The other 3 "packages" were delivered ~30 mins later. The driver brought the first box to me to sign for. It was a new, sturdy box containing the front upper control arms. The arms were in great shape. No issues with that part of the order.

And then...... she went back to her car to pull out the other "packages". Well, you can look at how the front lower control arms were shipped to me in the below images.
20211214_151151.jpg
20211214_151207.jpg

That's right... they slapped shipping labels on the control arms and handed them over to UPS. Zero protections for the ball joints. I'm so beyond pissed right now.