OT Ford question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because I trust you guys. One of my daughters drives a 2012 Fusion. It has approx 60K on it. It shimmys violently when she applies the brakes at speed. I popped the drivers side front wheel and everything "felt" and looked ok. She still has approx 50-60% of her brake pads with no ridges on the disk.

I told her to take it to a pro because I didn't know what was wrong. My guess was a warped disk but then I wondered if a bad wheel bearing would do the same and it might but it would do it all the time, not just at speed.

She hasn't done it I'm willing to bet, since she hasn't called to tell me how much it's going to be<LOL>!!

Anyone know?

jeff

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not a wheel bearing

sounds like a warped rotor

think of a warped record

all they have to do is put a dial indicator on the rotor and spin it

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definetly a warped rotor Jeff, if you recall I had the same concern a while back, 4 new rotors later and no problems.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you able to get a good look at the inside pad, as well as the back side of the disk? Ford uses a pretty substantial backing plate on these.

I'm on Fusion #3, incredibly easy and inexpensive when it comes to brakes.

50% of life at 60K is either long due OEM Motorcrafts or cheap recent replacements, which usually bring warp along. I drive easy and 50K is about right.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Warped rotors for sure.
Someone probably torqued the lugnuts too much.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys....I "kinda figured" but wasn't sure since I don't really know much about suspensions systems. I was concerned that she could have a widget fly loose....you know, Dad worry.

jeff

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes this is caused by a rotor warping, other times it's actually from coming to a stop from speed, then as you sit there with your foot on the brakes the extremely hot pads are clamped to the extremely hot rotors and a little bit of pad material is transferred to the surface of the rotors. This causes high spots on the rotors. In any event, turning or replacing the rotors and new pads is the fix.

We just bought my step daughter (17) a 2010 Fusion with high miles (160k).. Impressive little cars.