IWEs? Noise continues after OEM hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gents, I replaced the hubs in my 2012 XLT last month due to me diagnosing the LH hub grinding when spinning by hand.

I'm still experiencing some noise it's kind of a wub wub wub sound when I am slowing down. And I can feel it in the steering wheel and in the frame somewhat. Definitely a vibration. Happens whether I'm braking or not. The brakes are new including rotors on all corners as well.

I believe the only thing that can be left is the IWEs. When I run her in four high I don't get the vibration/noise. When I have her on jack stands idling in 2wd and spin the frontLH and RH wheels, they spend freely and are disengaged...and I can't detect any kind of resistance. I replaced that three-pronged vacuum unit on the firewall with an oem Motorcraft unit no change. I tested the old one and she seemed to be fine so I wasn't anticipating a miracle fix there. I've also rotated the tires a couple times and not experience anything different.

IWE time? Thanks much!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
CV Joint on the front axle bad? How about a wheel bearing? Get all four wheels off the ground and listen with a mechanic's stethoscope while it's running. Noises like these travel all over the place and their origin can be very hard to locate. Spend time diagnosing before replacing... You'll save a lot of money, and work.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Train your points are taken. Thank you. I have the stethoscope and used it prior before replacing the front hub bearings. One thing I did not do is put all four corners on jack stands and run it in gear.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar issue- all my checks of the vacuum system showed good. Everything seemed to lock and unlock like it should while in the garage. But on the road- funny grinding noise. Put it in 4hi, noise goes away.

I installed the RCV lockouts and haven’t had a problem since. My lifetime MPGs are 14.7, with a latest of 15.1 and a best of 18.0. And I won’t have to waist anymore time/money on the IWE vacuum system.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out! Assuming that means the IWE deletes keeps the front shafts turning at all times?

Last edited:
OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered Motorcraft IWEs. Should have them in later this week. Decided to go Oem this time before trying the lockouts (which didn't seem to have a boot or seal to keep out dirt).

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar issue- all my checks of the vacuum system showed good. Everything seemed to lock and unlock like it should while in the garage. But on the road- funny grinding noise. Put it in 4hi, noise goes away.

I installed the RCV lockouts and haven’t had a problem since. My lifetime MPGs are 14.7, with a latest of 15.1 and a best of 18.0. And I won’t have to waist anymore time/money on the IWE vacuum system.
Just got all the stuff to that this past weekend. I will be heading to the auto craft shop to knock it out in the morning!!!

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a very similar issue. Mine turned out to be an issue with my new rotors. The ID was ever so slightly too small and did not seat flat on the wheel hub by just the tiniest amount, this caused them to pulse at all times, and it didn't get worse when breaking which I though was weird. I wound up grinding the inner diameter of the rotor so it slipped on like the other side and that fixed all my issues.

Hopefully its something simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett