Overdrive flashing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peirson S

Reaction score
I have a 2005 expy with 166k on it. Today is a very wet and rainy day, on my wifes way home from work today she said she spun the tires on acceleration from a light, no big deal I thought. I took it out to go get dinner and on my way home I noticed the O/D light started flashing for roughly 30 seconds then cut off. got home, checked the fluid, all sensors and pigtails for a short and nothing. went to take it for another test drive and now the light comes on the second I put in gear (drive only), and consistently flashes now. The transmission is only 10 months old and replaced all sensorsbtw. I haven't tried pulling codes yet as my shop is closed on the weekends and of course the one time I don't bring my scanner home I have an issue. :favorites68: I'm going to wait till it cools down and see if it only happens at operating temp. I am in no means a transmission expert (I personally hate transmissions) but I do have a lot of mechanical knowledge as I do do this for a living. (Ford and chevy's keeps food on thetable for sure lol) but any insight would be appreciated.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only thing I could find in the Owner’s Manual was:

“If the light flashes steadily or does not illuminate, have the transmission serviced soon, or damage may occur.”

Did you turn off the O/D and see if the light stayed on or flash? What other trouble shooting procedures have you tried?

OP
OP
P

Peirson S

Reaction score
alright this is what I got, it has a p0960 and p0748 both referring to "Pressure Control Solenoid A Electrical".

took it for a drive this morning when cold (53degrees outside) and light is still on, so im pretty sure I can rule out torque converter/overheating issue.

Did you turn off the O/D and see if the light stayed on or flash?
yea i've tried to turn it off and it doesn't respond. I can turn it off in KOEO position but it goes to flashing once I crank.

I have swapped out fuse number 23 and 24 as I had experience with a customer before where those caused like same conditions.

I am going out now and checking the pin connectors for voltage and ground on solenoid "a"

will let you know what I find

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like one of those 2 solenoids went bad. Aren't you still under warranty? Or are you on your own on this one? Their should be testing procedure for those 2 solenoids, power, ground, etc. Sounds like you know how to. Do you have the schematic, and repair CD for testing transmission? Or you can cheat, and replace the 2, and see what happens, not recommended. Test first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Peirson S

Reaction score
Alright y’all, update!

Went through the pinpoint test, had to drop the pan and test voltage at the epc solenoid, lead frame, and the pass through connector. Found there was a short in the solenoid it self.

Replaced the EPC solenoid, and also replaces the lead frame, (only 15 bucks more) and the pass through connector due to it leaking.
All in all EPC solenoid, lead frame, pass through connector and 10 quarts of motor craft Mercon V
$132 bucks. ( got all parts through my shop, list price for everything wouldve been around $315)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants