Overheating head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a Kenwood head unit. It is the one that goes for $100 at best buy.

For a while know the sound quality will crap out. I have all after market speakers and ran new wiring not using the factory harness. However Im am using the factory wiring for power.

It sounds great then it fads down sounding like crap. I turn it down and after a few minutes its fine...then it repeats randomly.

If one of the speakers are blown would it act like this? I think it would just sound like crap all the time is one was blow. They all sound fine before the fading start.

I was told by someone that the factory power Im running off of might not be able to handle the load of what the stereo is pulling. Thus over heating those.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score

For a while know the sound quality will crap out. I have all after market speakers and ran new wiring not using the factory harness. However Im am using the factory wiring for power.

It sounds great then it fads down sounding like crap. I turn it down and after a few minutes its fine...then it repeats randomly.

If one of the speakers are blown would it act like this? I think it would just sound like crap all the time is one was blow. They all sound fine before the fading start.

I was told by someone that the factory power Im running off of might not be able to handle the load of what the stereo is pulling. Thus over heating those.

As far as the Head Unit goes, I have never had an issue with the factory wiring not being enough.

I can push my Pioneer Premier all day at max volume and never have that issue.

Now if the deck itself is getting to hot ( the internal amp ) then you would definatley experience what you are describing.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Kenwood? Is it the KDC 248U one?

How loud do you run it? I have a Pioneer DEH-P750MP HU, and it's doing fine using the factory power and speaker wires.

paulnunya

Reaction score
Kenwood issue

Yeah, I have the Kenwood KDC-HD548U and it does the same thing. I had a Kenwood that was a couple of years older "similar model" in the same vehicle and it had no problems. Same speakers and everything. The only reason I replace it was because some a-hole stole it.
But if you get any info please let me know. I emailed Kenwood about this issue and if I get anything back worth a damn I will let you know.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What deck is it? I know of a few kenwoods, pioneers and an alpine that all do this in our trucks and alike. The reasoning is lack of air flow from the restrictive plastic cavity they are in as well these units are slightliy deeper than most. Also which install dashkit was used?

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ELVATO, Thats the one. Out of 0-30 I run it around 20-22 with no offset. Right know Im not running a amp or my box.

Oblivion, Thats what Im thinking there isnt any air flow in the dins. I got a walmart dashkit and I put the little storage box ontop of the unit. Im going to flip that around and cut some air holes and see if it helps.
I do notice on colder days and cranking the heat it seems to happen more.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blackwater,
Flipping the kit around to mount the deck higher is going to mean you need to cut quite a bit out of the back. Just be prepared to cut more than you think.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh Im just going to flip the dashkit so the storage bin is between the heat A/c controls and put some holes in the storage bin.