Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so waited almost 2 hours needle still pegged and hot temp flashing. started truck at took off upper radiator hose and water came pumping out, so water pump ok (i think) so i guess next step would be that rear temp sensor. i already changed out the one on the front of the engine the cylinder head temp sensor. any tips on changing that one...im assuming i will have to take the manifold completely off to get to it

Watch the youtube vid. It shows how to remove manifold. Did you take an ohm reading on the sensor?

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
only code is p1299...no I dont own a voltage meter...

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can u post the exact steps to test the sensor..ill get a voltmeter tomorrow. ..ps I know jack about voltmeters

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
another thing...cleared the code..turned key on engine off..temp gauge finall bottomed out but the started creeping back up to halfway
also temp now reads 158 through scan tool

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you read 158F what to your best guess is the actual engine temperature?

the P1299 is a code that is set when the ecu goes into "cylinder deactivation" or limp mode in an attempt to pass cooling air through the engine to stave off the damage from excess heat.

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
engine has been off for about 5 hours...so it should be cold maybe 80 degrees...how do I test wires

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here's the one I took off...noticed some green corrosion on the prongs...took off connector and had a little on them..cleanned the connector best I could but no change

ecebc691fccca0104698aef15548baea.jpg

7e6d595045ed3dbe1428d559aff79ad7.jpg

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, It may be possible to change the sensor without removing the intake manifold by removing the sensor with a flex head wrench. I have every tool but that one so I will be purchasing one tomorrow

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
engine has been off for about 5 hours...so it should be cold maybe 80 degrees...how do I test wires

well, you won't like this but you have to back probe the wires at the pcm or whatever computer receives their input then check each wire for that sensor for resistance (should be little to no resistance.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik