Overlanding in Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
I was interested to know if anybody has done any overlanding in their expy's and if so, what sort of kit are you using?

Interested in air mattress for the back, roof racks, roof-top tents, mini fridges (any fit in the center console??), and any other bits of equipment to bring a bit of the 21st century with me.

Also, how in the world do you keep the doors locked when you're that close to the vehicle and have the key with you?

Thanks!

Plati

Reaction score
Did you search this Forum?
There are a couple threads on that, I have some posts in them.

I would not advise the rancidlunchmeat for meals though, you do need a fridge!

I personally would not suggest the Expy for overlanding, not the best off road.
It does have ok ground clearance & 4WD but that's about it.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to set my Expy up for a little overlanding. Mainly for our off-roading trips with our side by sides. I just did a 50 plus mile loop with some pretty nasty roads and I do have 35’s and the 3/2 lift. It did pretty good for such a pig of a vehicle. What worried me was how much the doors and body flexed on the washboard roads at speed and through deep ruts and washes. Long term overlanding might destroy the aluminum body. Plus I need the skid plates to get a little more aggressive on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) ditch the air dam before it gets ripped off with half your bumper, stock ground clearance is beyond a joke

2) buy wheels and tires suited for the job... steelies off an older SSV w/ BFGs or Raptor wheels (probably need a lift) or something

3) you probably want a lift

4) skid plates

PS alternatively, you might want to consider withdrawing $4k cash and heading to a government auction. Get a 3rd gen SSV 4x4 for an offroad beater. If you mess it up, no big loss... and it's already far better equipped for the task

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any year Expedition / Navigator is a fantastic, dare I say, the IDEAL perfect vehicle.
To trailer your overland rig to the point where pavement ends.

Expedition also ranks highly for boating.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS alternatively, you might want to consider withdrawing $4k cash and heading to a government auction. Get a 3rd gen SSV 4x4 for an offroad beater. If you mess it up, no big loss... and it's already far better equipped for the task
I agree with your other points but differ a little on this one. He’s looking at overlanding not testing the abilities of a vehicle in extreme 4x4 scenarios. I’d be wary of taking a beater on a multi day, or week, journey. Something like the TAT calls for reliability and dependability and knowing the limits of your vehicle. When I think ‘beater’ I think no glass and beat up body panels including the roof.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with your other points but differ a little on this one. He’s looking at overlanding not testing the abilities of a vehicle in extreme 4x4 scenarios. I’d be wary of taking a beater on a multi day, or week, journey. Something like the TAT calls for reliability and dependability and knowing the limits of your vehicle. When I think ‘beater’ I think no glass and beat up body panels including the roof.

Only if you ****** it that hard on your previous vacation lol

4 grand at government auction can get you a whole lotta SSV

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only if you ****** it that hard on your previous vacation lol

4 grand at government auction can get you a whole lotta SSV
Aren’t they pretty much near the end of their life? The ones I’ve seen have as many miles as a one way trip to the moon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1