Own a 2018 XLT, Have 2019 Limited Rental for the Week - Observations and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
I'm thinking the additional power is the result of what you guys are saying; 3.73 vs 3.31. It drives great with the lower gearing. Had I known back then what I know now...well you guys know the rest. Still no buyer's remorse. Just might have to bite the bullet and get mine tuned.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
Also, the sound system is very media and data dependent. If you listen to media with low quality, youll hear it and its kinda meh. But tune it right and listen to good quality music and its actually very very good.
Being a 2 channel audiophile, I totally understand. My source is Tidal HiFi and Spotify premium over Bluetooth, which is inherently lossy. So not the best source.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you think there could be some psychology involved?

When in a $60/day rental, I'm more apt to push it a little further and harder than I would my own $600/month personal vehicle.

I also feel like if something were to go wrong, it'd be easier to bamboozle a Hertz employee (who often are disinterested new hires) versus my local dealership service drive guy (tough to con him, been there 30+ years).

Fairly certain you will find zero insulation difference between trim levels to explain ride quality. Tires on the other hand....

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
Do you think there could be some psychology involved?

When in a $60/day rental, I'm more apt to push it a little further and harder than I would my own $600/month personal vehicle.

I also feel like if something were to go wrong, it'd be easier to bamboozle a Hertz employee (who often are disinterested new hires) versus my local dealership service drive guy (tough to con him, been there 30+ years).

Fairly certain you will find zero insulation difference between trim levels to explain ride quality. Tires on the other hand....
Very possible. I'm curious how my observations will hold up after spending a week in the rental and getting back behind the wheel of my XLT.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its funny how peoples experience, personal preference, or minor vehicle differences can determine what people feel about a vehicle. Not too long ago(a week ago), someone was talking about how there 2019 ltd was noisy and bouncy and how their vehicles dynamics was wearing thin on them. You get the same vehicle as a rental and thinks its dynamics are slightly superior to yours though yours is xlt.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The axle ratio is probably the biggest difference. 3.31 is a highway ratio. 3.73 makes the vehicle feel like it has more power. You will get a slight drop in highway fuel economy with the 3.73. I doubt there will be a difference around town.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With Jeep Wranglers, folks change their gearing out for higher ratios. I'd say go for 4.10 aftermarket. I'd bet an Expy with that would get up and go as long as you don't mind the mileage penalty.

My 2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 v-6 had 4.10 gear ratio and was quick off the line but it got worse gas mileage than my 2017 Expedition.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
If it could be done for a reasonable price I'd consider putting 3.73's in my XLT. This Limited feels just right with them. I get the feeling it would be cost prohibitive, unfortunately. 4.10's would be a stretch for my purposes.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it could be done for a reasonable price I'd consider putting 3.73's in my XLT. This Limited feels just right with them. I get the feeling it would be cost prohibitive, unfortunately. 4.10's would be a stretch for my purposes.

On this new stuff, I'm sure it would be expensive to do it right to get the 3.73's. The tow pack gave bigger radiator, trans coolers, and whatever else, I couldn't understand why anyone bought a Non-tow-pack unit. It just made perfect sense to me.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On this new stuff, I'm sure it would be expensive to do it right to get the 3.73's. The tow pack gave bigger radiator, trans coolers, and whatever else, I couldn't understand why anyone bought a Non-tow-pack unit. It just made perfect sense to me.
Because I don't tow anything, all models come with a trans-cooler (whether you got the tow pack or not), and the standard radiator is absolutely sufficient for my use. Why would I spend the extra cash for something I don't need?