Own a 2018 XLT, Have 2019 Limited Rental for the Week - Observations and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because I don't tow anything, all models come with a trans-cooler (whether you got the tow pack or not), and the standard radiator is absolutely sufficient for my use. Why would I spend the extra cash for something I don't need?

Because of the 3.73's. Unless its a highway rig, a 3.31 is not a gear for a vehicle of this size! If I could only get a 3.31, I wouldn't have bought the vehicle period. I looked away from the Yukons because 3.42 was their highest numerical gear and I always said 3.42 was a highway gear, not a truck gear! Again, just my opinion......

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On this new stuff, I'm sure it would be expensive to do it right to get the 3.73's. The tow pack gave bigger radiator, trans coolers, and whatever else, I couldn't understand why anyone bought a Non-tow-pack unit. It just made perfect sense to me.
I agree, but for the first 6+ months of production the 3.73 was not produced in enough numbers to meet demand. So they were really hard to find. You could order one, like we did, but instead of the quoted 6-8 weeks, it took 15-18 weeks. There's a couple of older threads bemoaning the build time for orders that included the 22" wheels and/or the 3.73.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I completely agree, because when I searched for hold over 2018's recently there was very very few with the tow package. I nearly gave up and said forget it. I wasn't paying full coin for a 2019 as they chopped almost $20K off the hold over 18's!
I finally found one out of state that was a 302A tow pack in white!

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being a 2 channel audiophile, I totally understand. My source is Tidal HiFi and Spotify premium over Bluetooth, which is inherently lossy. So not the best source.
Try Qobuz Premium up to 24/192

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting article on gear ratios. This does sound like why the rental was more spirited:

The "drive cycle," which is how fast and where you drive, is also an important consideration when selecting the right axle ratio, according to truckmaker Ram. For lower speeds and rural driving, a higher gear set will add capability and a more spirited driving experience without too much damage to the final mpg number, according to Ram. But if you do a lot of high-speed driving, you might want to consider a vehicle with a numerically lower gear set to decrease engine rpm and improve fuel economy.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-to-choose-the-right-axle-ratio-for-your-pickup-truck.html

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I never paid attention to the gear ratio when I purchased the Expy. I just lucked into the ratio I would have chosen (3.73). It will be a consideration for truck/Suv purchases in the future.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
Ok, so I think much of my initial findings were not completely founded.
  • The power difference, which is very likely attributable to the gearing, was a nice change.
  • The transmission did seem smoother and less clunky. Again, could be attributable to gears and/or perhaps software revisions with new model year
  • Interior noise difference - unfounded. I have to remember that I have two small children and two car seats in my car. Their car seats usually have toys and other noisy objects in them that rattle around and create noise, even when the kids aren't in the vehicle. I also have a hatch creak/rattle that the dealer has been unable to resolve as of yet. The rental limited only had my luggage in it and nothing else, so it was much quieter.
So that's it. Chalking this one up to jumping to unfounded conclusions. I'm back to enjoying my XLT and looking forward to installing my ReadyLift this weekend!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so I think much of my initial findings were not completely founded.
  • The power difference, which is very likely attributable to the gearing, was a nice change.
  • The transmission did seem smoother and less clunky. Again, could be attributable to gears and/or perhaps software revisions with new model year
  • Interior noise difference - unfounded. I have to remember that I have two small children and two car seats in my car. Their car seats usually have toys and other noisy objects in them that rattle around and create noise, even when the kids aren't in the vehicle. I also have a hatch creak/rattle that the dealer has been unable to resolve as of yet. The rental limited only had my luggage in it and nothing else, so it was much quieter.
So that's it. Chalking this one up to jumping to unfounded conclusions. I'm back to enjoying my XLT and looking forward to installing my ReadyLift this weekend!

I'd be inclined to blame the huge and heavy BFG KO2's

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My kids car seats rattle like crazy, I hate hearing that noise in this brand new vehicle. It sounds like a beater because they rate when they are empty.