P0442 - EVAP System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
Quick question:

I have a P0442 on my 1998 Ford Expedition (small leak indicated). This is the first time this code has occurred in the 21 years I have owned the vehicle. The gas cap Looks fine, but who knows, it might be the issue.

Anyway, Google has shown that the EVAP purge valve is a very common culprit when this code occurs. I just wanted to see if many others have had to replace their purge valve. I do plan to do a little trouble shooting before doing anything, but it would be interesting to see what you folks have actually experienced when this code appeared.

Thanks!

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was a bad hose when I got that code. The hoses get weak and brittle over time and are subject to evap leaks in the system. I replaced the long hose connected to the green purge connector fitting that goes to the intake, and never saw that code again. Check the hose connected to the white fitting as shown in the picture as well.

If you change your hoses.. Go to your local autoparts store, take off the hoses in the parking lot, bring it in and they'll cut you some hose to replace them with.

Good luck!

1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ulver!

I haven't taken the time to do the proper troubleshooting as of yet, but I did go out in the garage and took a look at the hose you mentioned. The hose did appear to be a little suspect. It isn't in terrible shape, but by the looks, it could likely be the issue. Therefore, I ordered a replacement, as well as a new gas cap for the tank. The two items are relatively cheap and after 21 years it's probably a good idea to replace them. If this doesn't correct the issue, I'll still feel good about replacing the two parts …………… I'll call it preventive maintenance!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Just got same code but I over filled the gas tank and it spilled out the overflow vent.

just ordered new gas cap. Hope that’ll fix the light.