P0453 MYSTERY Part or fix question 2005 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Thank you for the pic.
I am still unsure of what is going on.
#8 says its an electrical connector but not actually a part number or part name?
It does however show it connecting to the part in my pic of the actual top of tank.
Any chance that service manual gives a part number for what it plugs in to?
Thanks

sscharlie

Reaction score
Try this for research.
I haven't actually found a good picture of it besides the first one I posted.

2006 fuel pressure transducer 2.jpg

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Definitely getting closer.
I am finding 3 different parts with 9C052 in the part number though. I think am gonna have to just drop the tank and see which one I have.
Screenshot_20180908-153656_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180908-153540_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180908-153605_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey man, you have any resolution with this?

I'm fighting it now, generally stick to older cars... all this plastic is tearing up my arms.

I have dropped my tank and searched and searched for what most parts stores show as the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. I found a part that looks like one of the pictures above. Just wondering if you've dove any further into it.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone in the future. I took my 05' to a stealership and they said the fuel take pressure sensor is shot, said almost $1000 to replace. The sensor is pictured above, it's the first one, it's inline on the hoses for the EVAP system. Ford does not view that sensor as a replaceable component - hence they don't sell just that sensor - they want you to replace the entire hose system. Part # 5L1Z9C015AA. At the time of me posting this there is one guy on eBay selling just the sensor "new" - not in original packaging. I'm likely going to opt and spend the extra $ and buy the entire hose system vs risking the time/work to replace just the sensor and it not being correct.

Good luck to anyone in the future.

ALSO - FYI. This cannot be accessed without dropping the tank. It's about halfway across the tank on the top towards the passenger side. It's all but covered by the heat shield. There are two hoses running together from front to back, its on one of them.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone in the future. I took my 05' to a stealership and they said the fuel take pressure sensor is shot, said almost $1000 to replace. The sensor is pictured above, it's the first one, it's inline on the hoses for the EVAP system. Ford does not view that sensor as a replaceable component - hence they don't sell just that sensor - they want you to replace the entire hose system. Part # 5L1Z9C015AA. At the time of me posting this there is one guy on eBay selling just the sensor "new" - not in original packaging. I'm likely going to opt and spend the extra $ and buy the entire hose system vs risking the time/work to replace just the sensor and it not being correct.

Good luck to anyone in the future.

ALSO - FYI. This cannot be accessed without dropping the tank. It's about halfway across the tank on the top towards the passenger side. It's all but covered by the heat shield. There are two hoses running together from front to back, its on one of them.

I never had a chance to get that far yet. Thank you for the update. Of course it is bad news for the both of us. Not sure if you will see this before you work on it but can you possibly get pics of what you have to do to and the actual part you replace. Was the part available at retail stores or is ford the only one that sells the complete assembly. Again thanks for the update. I really appreciate this info.
Oh, 1 other question. What exactly happened to cause yours to go bad? Did it short out?

Ziggy

Reaction score
I never had a chance to get that far yet. Thank you for the update. Of course it is bad news for the both of us. Not sure if you will see this before you work on it but can you possibly get pics of what you have to do to and the actual part you replace. Was the part available at retail stores or is ford the only one that sells the complete assembly. Again thanks for the update. I really appreciate this info.
Oh, 1 other question. What exactly happened to cause yours to go bad? Did it short out?

I haven't done the work yet. No one seems to actually have the part in stock. I ordered it from on ebay ford parts dealer. Prob wont have it til next week. I'll try to snap what pics I can - difficult to do under the car.

No clue what caused it to go bad. The dealership said they just go out, I imagine the sensor has just gotten plugged up with gunk or something along those lines (car has +200k miles. I spent a week in the mountains on some very dusty and dirty roads right before this happened - not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

It's my daily (other car is a 66 galaxie) and the tags are two months expired due to failing emissions, so I am very motivated to get this resolved. I'll try to post back with results.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
I haven't done the work yet. No one seems to actually have the part in stock. I ordered it from on ebay ford parts dealer. Prob wont have it til next week. I'll try to snap what pics I can - difficult to do under the car.

No clue what caused it to go bad. The dealership said they just go out, I imagine the sensor has just gotten plugged up with gunk or something along those lines (car has +200k miles. I spent a week in the mountains on some very dusty and dirty roads right before this happened - not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

It's my daily (other car is a 66 galaxie) and the tags are two months expired due to failing emissions, so I am very motivated to get this resolved. I'll try to post back with results.

Ok thank you. I think I mistakenly shorted mine out when I put a 20 amp fuse in the F1.34 slot instead of the F1.35 slot when replacing what I thought was a blown fog light fuse in slot F1.35
When I turned the key it stuttered and ******. Never had that happen before. I turned the key back to off and then tried to start again. This time it started and immediately threw that P0453 code. Now after looking into my mistake in the fuse box I remedied the blown fog light fuse BUT if I take that 20 amp fuse out of F1.34 the suv will not start. By that I mean turn key to on and nothing, no cranking at all. Everything acts like it is supposed to start ( lights on, radio, dash lights up ) but it does nothing without that fuse in there now.
To make it even more nonsensical, when i put the fuse back in and start it, I can pull the fuse while running and the suv still runs. Turn it off and try again, no go.

F1.34 doesnt reference anything about emissions. It does mention the PCM though. So I think I may have shorted the wiring or connection from that part that communicates with the PCM when I gave it power from the 20 amp fuse.

Bananas right. I dont even use the fog lights lol. I was just surprised they didnt come on when I tried them one day and here I am now with this absurd emissions code that Ford requires you to drop an entire gas tank to hopefully remedy. And probably like you, I had to search Google for hrs just to even find something about this part. Even the helpful guys that posted technical pics it still wasnt specific in the diagrams. And the fact that 3 parts have the same part number in them even made this more of a headache.
Cant wait to hear how yours turned out.
BTW, I had just passed emissions test 3 weeks before this incident. So I got lucky in a way until next July cause it really isnt causing me any mechanical issues. Just a CEL.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Another question if you can,
When you get the part can you please post what color wires come from your onboard plug that plugs into the plug of the part you bought. After typing that long message earlier I am wondering if maybe I shorted or fried the wire from the onboard harness that goes to the pcm.
Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okiman