P0453 MYSTERY Part or fix question 2005 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monster63

Reaction score
I was able to find what is being called a used 2005 2006 ford expedition gas tank on ebay.
crazy that I was only able to find a good pic on ebay but it is what it is.

is this the part that needs to be replaced to solve the p0453 code issue?
Does that part connect to those lines OR is it part of the lines and they need to be replaced also.

Any help direction or more pics is greatly appreciated

bob

20180825_141823.jpg

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the fuel tank pressure sensor is in a hose going to the tank visible by lowering the spare tire and looking up at the hoses. I don't recall ever seeing the doohickey Circled in your picture. And I removed the tank twice now.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Briangee

Thank you. Can you point out where this part is from this pic?
20180824_163609_542c1f97484e3019d879d110061787403f88908e.jpg

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, you'll have to get that spare tire out of the way and follow the hoses that go out of the rear of the tank up towards your fuel filler neck and canister. I recall seeing a pressure sensor spliced into the line around that area - you'll know you found it when you see the electrical connector going to the fuel line. If I can find some time here I'll try to post something more.

Last edited:

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what it looks like if you live in a cartoon. IIRC you don't have to remove the tank to get to this as the instructions state.

Image1.jpg

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Thank you very much BrianGee

Unfortunately after 45 minutes under the suv tracing the fuel line from the filler neck down to tank and every other hose in between, on my 2005 I dont see anything that looks like that diagram. The only thing I saw that was even "disconnectable" was a hose that went to what I am assuming is the evap canister contraption. And it had the typical ford connection with the green press tab to release it. There was a wired connection in that evap canister contraption vicinity ( not even close to a fuel line ) that connected to something but definitely didnt fit the description of fuel sensor.

I am beginning to suspect in 2005 and 2006 ford did something different.
I dont have an issue dropping the tank but I really need to have this MYSTERY part on hand so I can get it done in a timely manner.
In your pic it seems as if the part is mounted inline, i havent seen a part yet that I have googled which resembles an inline part. Everything I have seen has been a fuel rail switch or a twist on top of tank part both having an electrical connection.

Thanks again and if you have any other tips please let me know.

Bob

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you stuck an inspection mirror above the tank and looked? I'd hate to have sent you on a wild goose chase - it's possible Ford changed it for 2005. The diagram I posted is good up to 2004 for sure. If it is in the same location though you might have to at least lower the tank a bit to get to it. Of course, you'd want to take a loof with a mirror first.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There must be two variants because even when I search my year of expy' an inline pressure sensor is not shown yet that's what I've seen and the installation diagram shows it. So I think you're absolutely right in the picture you posted after having looked at the actual part online.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
I am gonna try to get it on a lift and try to see anything with a mirror or even a scope if my buddy has one.
This entire thing has completely blown my mind lol. Like you mentioned every diagram or schematic doesnt really provide alot of solid info for 2005. Even when you search the part on rockauto.com it comes back as the fuel rail part. You have to search fuel tank pressure transducer sensor to get a part that looks remotely close to the one on the tank I posted and even then the transducer part isnt an inline part. It twists into the fuel tank and has a wiring harness. No fuel passes thru it.
Thanks again and if you find anything new please post.

OP
OP
Monster63

Monster63

Reaction score
Havent been able to get it on a lift. Canr really see anything even with a mirror under it. Seems like there is a plastic cover over that side of the tank. Probably cause the fuel lines are on that side.
Can anyone else shed some light on this particular 2005 gas tank view.
Thanks