P04DB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdno

Reaction score
Hey everybody, new here. Having troubles with my wife’s 2019 expedition limited max. 109,*** miles. I’ve tried to do research on google, YouTube and this forum and I cannot find the answer I want/need.
When accelerating, as if we’re getting onto the interstate, the car would start jerkin almost as if the transmission was slipping or somethin. I drove the car yesterday just incase somethin happened, I didn’t want her stranded. It did just fine on the way to work and almost the whole way home. I put the pedal almost to the floor to see if it would jerk. It did of course. But the engine light started flashing so I went ahead and took the car to autozone before heading home. Hooked up to the car and got two codes. P0203 misfire cylinder #2 and P04DB crankcase ventilation system disconnected. So, swapped coil packs around with another cylinder, drove car around, floored it, check engine light came on, hooked car up to computer and the code went to the other cylinder that I had swapped over. Replaced coil pack. Car runs better. But, if you stomp on it, about 60-80 mph it still jerks a little. I’ve checked all the hoses, made sure none were disconnected. None of them are pinched or in a bind. I don’t know what else to check. But what I want to know is, will the P04DB cause it to throw p0203 code? I’m assuming we’re going to have to go have a smoke test done on the car. Any information or suggestions would be helpful.
Sorry about the long post.
Oh! About 2 months ago, I replaced all spark plugs, coil packs, replaced passenger side turbo because oil was in it, oil change, air filter… I think that’s it.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on the crankcase vent code, could be a cracked vent tube that needs replaced, PCV lines are pretty easy to do yourself. If you just did coils and plugs you may have unseated the PCV line and it may just need reseated.

The shutter could be from the traction control module working to keep wheel slip down. Try a different drive mode such as sport and see if it still shudders or jerks. Try turning traction control off (press button on dash once and just traction control gets partially disabled, press and hold 5 seconds to fully disable traction and stability control). If the shudder goes away under full WOT application now then you can be confident it was the traction and stability control systems working to eliminate wheel slip and keep you going straight.

Texas

Reaction score
Did you get your P04DB code resolved? Mine just threw this code, and O’Reilly’s recommended replacing the PCV Valve - $10 part, so I’ll do that tomorrow (when they get the part in).

OP
OP
birdno

birdno

Reaction score
I’ve replaced the pcv valve and the tube. Car still shutters and throws blinking yellow engine light. Seems to always be cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. I went to oreillys and swapped out the two spark plugs and both coil packs. Car runs fine as long as you drive it easy. Getting on the interstate you kinda have to ease on up to speed. And everything is fine. Say you give it gas to pass someone and it goes to shuttering again and throwin the engine code. I’ve tried putting it in different modes (sport, eco, etc) still does it.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve replaced the pcv valve and the tube. Car still shutters and throws blinking yellow engine light. Seems to always be cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. I went to oreillys and swapped out the two spark plugs and both coil packs. Car runs fine as long as you drive it easy. Getting on the interstate you kinda have to ease on up to speed. And everything is fine. Say you give it gas to pass someone and it goes to shuttering again and throwin the engine code. I’ve tried putting it in different modes (sport, eco, etc) still does it.

Are the coils Motorcraft?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
....coils... I had to replace Autozone's coil brand DuraLast twice in three months due to poor quality. Always buy the Motorcraft! The DuraLast Chinese option is a waste of frustration, money and time.

Most likely motorcrafts are made in China too, but they do have different prices, and therefore difference manufacture standards.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes sir. Motocraft coils and ngk plugs.
Well, another option I would check, are those plugs gapped precisely?If it were me, I would even torque spark plugs following the numbers on service manual. But it's just me. I tend to be over cautious on most things.