P0658 Code and Limp Mode on Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrickerZ

Reaction score
Pretty much every time I turn my Expedition on, I get a P0658 code and the transmission goes into limp mode. If I reset the TCM, everything is fine until I restart the car. I checked all the cables and connectors going to the TCM and they all look good. I haven't tried spraying them out with contact cleaner, yet, but that's probably my next step.

Has anyone run into this? I did a search and did not find the code at all on this site. On Google I found some responses, but nothing really solid. Do I need to drop the transmission pan and check voltage at the actuators? It seems like the actuators are fine since the transmission has been switching fine.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. I thought I did. Limp mode keeps the transmission in a single gear, usually 3rd, to help prevent damage to the transmission.
I guess that is how you know you are in limp mode ......3rd gear only. Mine did that too when I left the MAF unplugged.

OP
OP
T

TrickerZ

Reaction score
So, I've found that if I wait until all the electrical is up and running before starting the vehicle, I don't run into this issue. I'm thinking it's a bad ground somewhere that's causing inrush to pull the voltage too low for the TCM. Anyone have any ideas on where the grounds are I should check?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I've found that if I wait until all the electrical is up and running before starting the vehicle, I don't run into this issue. I'm thinking it's a bad ground somewhere that's causing inrush to pull the voltage too low for the TCM. Anyone have any ideas on where the grounds are I should check?

Voltage Drop Test There is a sticky on it in the electrical section. Start at the battery cables positive and negative.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt