paint bubbling on hood and tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kraller

Reaction score
just contacted ford on 2012 certified ford explorer bought this January. paint bubbling on hood and tailgate. lets see how they handle problem. will keep you posted on response.

sbar09

Reaction score
Anybody think an 08 expy tailgate and hood is still covered under warranty? I cant remember if they recalled that or not?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody think an 08 expy tailgate and hood is still covered under warranty? I cant remember if they recalled that or not?

Recalls are issued for safety issues or defects.

Ford may have issued an extended warranty or customer satisfaction program for the paint issues, but it would not be a recall.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At best, Ford will offer you some paltry amount that may, at best, cover the cost of a Maaco paint job. Submit a request to both your local dealership and corporate for repairs simply to satisfy your obligation to allow them a chance to remedy the problem. Then take them to small claims.

OP
OP
K

kraller

Reaction score
2012 ford explorer with bubbling hood paint

keeping everyone up to date on hood paint problems. got a call back from ford which hinted they may pay for half of repaint. total cost around $1200.00. I'm still not satisfied. trying to move up corporate ladder. why would ford screw explorer sales with lousy paint problems. will still keep you posted. in the meantime, I would not by a new explorer unless problem is corrected.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope I don't sound snide, but thats 3 times you've mentioned "Explorer" and we are on an "Expedition" forum.

Paint issues are not uncommon to Ford, the Expedition, or even the Explorer. Just google any mainstream auto mfg + paint problems and you'll see. Lots of blaming and finger pointing to go around.

Are you on Lake Erie by chance? Any idea where your Expedition was before you bought it? Just wondering as my 2008 was painted by the same robots as your 2012, on the same assembly line, using the same procedure, parts, materials and method, yet I have only seen a tiny area of (aluminum) corrosion behind my (steel) license plate.

f162mm

Reaction score
Our Tailgate on our 09 Expedition is really bad with bubbling. It will cost me 600 to fix. Am not ready yet. My Hood is fine so far. My brother in laws 2008 Expeditions tailgate was repainted and Hood under the Original Warranty which was around 36,000 miles back then. My mother in laws 2012 expedition Max which is made in Canada has just started bubbling on tailgate, she is taking it in under full warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope I don't sound snide, but thats 3 times you've mentioned "Explorer" and we are on an "Expedition" forum.

Paint issues are not uncommon to Ford, the Expedition, or even the Explorer. Just google any mainstream auto mfg + paint problems and you'll see. Lots of blaming and finger pointing to go around.

Are you on Lake Erie by chance? Any idea where your Expedition was before you bought it? Just wondering as my 2008 was painted by the same robots as your 2012, on the same assembly line, using the same procedure, parts, materials and method, yet I have only seen a tiny area of (aluminum) corrosion behind my (steel) license plate.

The problems aren't limited to Ford, but they are far, far more common with Ford. You, literally, cannot find an Expedition more than a couple years old that doesn't have some bubbling/peeling paint on the hood, tailgate, and/or roof. In fact, I couldn't find anything older than a 2014 without the problem and I searched all the way from Michigan down to Alabama and everything east of there. Ford has been aware of the issue and the cause behind it for decades. Ultimately, they determined that it is more cost effective to pay off the few people who pursue the issue than to correct the issue.

To the OP, contact Zestar for their very extensive info packet on this issue if you ultimately decide on small claims.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1