Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 eddie bauer exp has a lot off bubbles on the front and back end of the hood. The tailgate is also "infected". Thought this was a result of salt and 5 month of hard winters here in Sweden, but this thread correct that.
I will repaint both before i give the car a full rust protection coat for the frame/underside and cavities/space in the body etc.

CJ0920

Reaction score
My '07 EB tailgate above the license plate has been bubbling as well. Haven't had the time to check the rest of the truck.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I called Ford yesterday 6/10 and I have not heard back from them. I really don't want to hear from them,I know it is going to Piss Me Off. This is a bulliten ya'll might want to read from Ford,so with this bulletin Ford knows there is a problem!!! Look at when this bulliten was sent out. Also look at the BS Ford blamed the blistering on

TSB 07-2-9

02/05/07

PAINT BUBBLES AROUND LIFTGATE TRIM
FORD:
2003-2006 Expedition
LINCOLN:
2003-2006 Navigator
ISSUE
Some 2003-2006 Expedition and Navigator vehicles may experience paint bubbling or lifting around the trim area on the liftgate. This can occur when the trim part moves on the paint surface because of climate temp changes and/or owner operation. Overtime these trim parts can rub through the paint surface and cause corrosion to start developing between the aluminum gate and paint.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Paint resurfacing will be necessary to correct the paint bubbling concern.

2. Add Mylar tape to the backside edge of the following liftgate trim parts, the license plate bucket for Navigator (Figure 1) and the license lamp applique for Expedition (Figure 2). The Mylar tape will act as a friction barrier between the paint surface and the trim components.

3. Make sure that the backside of the trim pieces listed in Step 2 are clean of any contaminates. This can be done by wiping the surface with a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water.

4. Apply the Mylar tape to the backside edge of the trim component. It may be necessary to trim the tape after its been applied for a clean fit.

5. After applying the Mylar tape, follow installation procedure for each part as listed in the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

070209A 2003-2006 Expedition: 1.3 Hrs.
Install Mylar Tape To The
Backside Edge Of The
License Plate Applique,
Include Time To Detrim
(Do Not Use With P42D)

070209B 2003-2006 Navigator: 1.1 Hrs.
Install Mylar Tape To The
Backside Edge Of The
License Plate Bucket,
Include Time To Detrim
(Do Not Use With P42D)

070209C 2003-2006 Expedition: 2.4 Hrs.
Additional Time To Paint
Liftgate. To Be Used With
Operation A In This TSB
(Includes Time For P101
Basic Paint) (Do Not Use
With P42)

070209C 2003-2006 Navigator: 2.2 Hrs.
Additional Time To Paint
Liftgate. To Be Used With
Operation B In This TSB
(Includes Time For P101
Basic Paint) (Do Not Use
With P42)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
78404C42 D7

Disclaimer

Harry12

Reaction score
Hello all! Has anyone removed the rear trim parts on the tailgate and applied the mylar tape to prevent the rubbing which apparently causes the blistering? I am thinking of doing this myself before any issues appear.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if I buy into the excuse that the trim is rubbing. I have a couple of small bubbles and none are even near the trim piece.
I firmly believe the paint problem is caused by bad prep and contamination on the panel prior to painting. Ford is well aware of this issue already and has acknowledged the problem thru Tsb's sighting the contamination as the culprit.

Matt

Harry12

Reaction score
I was just thinking of being proactive and if in fact the trim is to blame as Ford says then I would just apply the Mylar tape and see what happens.