Painting Lower Valance - '99-02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I have the time or money right now...

...but in the future, I'd like to paint my stock lower valance to match the body of my Expo. I'd really like an aftermarket valance, but that is definitely out of the budget. I have a 2000 xlt and the valance is currently that dull gray and my paint is deep (or maybe medium...I'm not sure...) wedgewood blue.

I was just wondering if anyone here has done it on their 99-02's. I'd like to see some pictures and find out how you guys went about doing it (ie: bodyshop or by yourself; products used, procedure, etc) and how much it cost (in terms of product expenses, labor, time).

Thanks in advance!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I've got the same paint as you. Someone on here has painted their trim on a 2nd generation and it turned out well. Mind you he was black on black.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen painted 2nd gen's, but in those cases people usually use generic spray cans and it gives the car a two-tone look. I was hoping for an exact match, since I think that would make the valance look best on the 99-02 models. I've seen pictures of Ex's with it done before on cardomain, but I figured I'd ask here first. I just hate how it doesn't match the rest of the paint scheme of the truck.

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sure they aren't new ones? Or metal aftermarkets? I'd amagine it'd be very difficult to get the plastic to look similar to the panels.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I'm talking about...they are both definitely stock valances, and they are both definitely painted. Each vehicle does have a custom paintjob, but I'd still like to know what they had to do to paint the valances (and the rear bumper step pad, running boards, mirrors, etc).

bluepaintedvalance.jpg

silverpaintedvalance.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they both have custom paint jobs--I said that--but those are the stock valances for sure. I just wanted to know what they had to do to prep/paint them.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if they have custom paint jobs odds are it was painted all at once at a body shop lol

There's always cans of spray paint at wal mart for 5 bucks!

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your budget? Cause you are going to have to find a specialty paint shop that knows how to paint plastic well enough not to notice.

Last edited: