Park to Reverse transition- not smooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpat

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when you put the SUV from Park to Reverse it is not always a smooth transition? Never have this issue in my husband’s F150. Brake is fully applied and it jolts a bit while trying to get into gear. Hate to bring it to the dealer for the day and waste my time.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is a commin complaint with no fix. Mines does this but i figure its 10sp tranny woes as well as the low gear jumpiness. Otherwise its smooth as butter

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not noticed this on my 18 Expedition. Every car I've ever had lunged into gear at times, so even if it did I wouldn't think it was abnormal. Its going from neutral to applying power, so I would expect some reaction.

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
It didn’t do it when brand new though. Started about 4 months after purchase and seems to be doing it every time now. Some times it is more of a jolt than other times. I would expect this to be a pretty smooth transition while my foot is on the brake...but maybe I am wrong. Just seems really rough.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In mine It seems like a coupling delay, like it takes a bit of time for the car to get into reverse gear, and when it does it clunks into it

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is similar. When I start the vehicle and shift from Park to Reverse to back out of my garage, I occasionally get a clunk/hard shift from the transmission (once every 10 times maybe). I recently installed a 5 Star tune, so I'll see if that has any affect on this behavior.

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine clunks major but I park on a decline (nose down) and thought it was due to that.. I don't seem to feel it otherwise...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your Ebrake needs adjusting. Your putting a load on the locking pin, or whatever the new 10 speeders are using to keep it from rolling. If it didn't do it before, I doubt if the boy geniuses at your dealer are going to know what to look for. You might call or go by first, and see if Ford issued a Tsb fix for your problem.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

woody929

Reaction score
We just had ours fixed (18 Expy) because it was making a clunk sound when starting to back up or just put it in drive after backing up. Apparently there was a TSB for it 19-2031

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
We just had ours fixed (18 Expy) because it was making a clunk sound when starting to back up or just put it in drive after backing up. Apparently there was a TSB for it 19-2031
Thank you!!! How did they fix the issue?