Parking Assist and Door Ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven many Fords that have had the park assist and every single one of them have had the capability to disable the parking aid (backup beepers). Now with my 2004 Expedition, I have absolutely nowhere to disable them. The Message center doesn't show anything and even in setup there isn't a location to disable them. When it comes to pulling/backing a trailer it is a big pain. My sister's 2005 and my dad's 2008 f150 has a dedicated button and the 2007 Navigator had a disable message show up in the message center. Any ideas?

Also, last night I was getting out of the truck while running and noticed the interior lights did not illuminate and the door ajar did not chime, but my wife's door did. Then this morning, got to work and same thing. If i take a screwdriver and push down on the switch, it will briefly ding then stop. Should I take the door apart and attempt to clean the sensor or is it something electrical?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my '05, when I set the gear selector in R the message center changes to "PARK ASSIST ON/OFF" and I can use the Reset button to select ON or OFF. This doesn't appear in your message center when you're in Reverse?

For the door ajar, it sounds like it's the switch but no way of knowing without testing it I guess.. You could try to squeeze the rubber boot for the door harness between the door and the body and see if something happens, usually that is a common failure point for electrical problems in the door.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated in your owners manual

The system is automatically enabled when the gear selector is placed in
R (Reverse) and the ignition is ON. The RSS control in the message
center allows the driver to disable the system only when the ignition is
ON and the gear selector in R (Reverse).

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, doesn't show up on my 2004. It mutes the radio and all of that good stuff, but does not show up on the message center.

Hopefully tonight i will take the door apart and see what it does when pressed manually.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear cargo area of the 03-06 looks fairly similar to the 07+, sooo.... with the hatch open, on the drivers side there is a small removable panel. Behind it is the speaker module for the park assist. It easily unplugs.

Not really a solution but can only imagine how annoying that'd be trying to back a trailer with the beeping.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or take the speaker out...I don't understand why ppl want to disconnect/disable this feature...I've backed up many times to uhaul trailers and definitely don't find it so annoying that I wanted to disable it...just me...guess u could disconnect the connectors of all the sensors in the bumper

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do believe the speaker is external, so you could make a switch for it, or on the reverse enable wire going to it. Not too hard to do.. Just need a wiring diagram for '04, I have for the '05 but I suspect it's different..

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a ford service disk so i'm good there. I pull a trailer about once a week or so. My parents driveway is a tight squeeze and between trying to concentrate and listening to others as I'm between two houses it is quite overwhelming. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if a 5 dollar switch and 5 dollars worth of wire fixes it, then I will do it. I'll look into the reverse connection as well.

I really like the feature so i don't want to lose it's functionality. Thanks all!