Powertrain malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelties-rock

Reaction score
I started backing my 2019 expedition max out of garage but there were no lights on dash, no radio and no AC. I turned car off and then back a couple times and then a giant wrench popped up. Looked it up on app and it said Powertrain malfunction/reduced power. Ford said I am responsible to have it towed in despite the fact that it is only 4 years old and has 45k miles (still under warranty). After reading some of the experiences on here, I’m just wondering how good the fix is. Can they really fix this or will it be an ongoing issue?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started backing my 2019 expedition max out of garage but there were no lights on dash, no radio and no AC. I turned car off and then back a couple times and then a giant wrench popped up. Looked it up on app and it said Powertrain malfunction/reduced power. Ford said I am responsible to have it towed in despite the fact that it is only 4 years old and has 45k miles (still under warranty). After reading some of the experiences on here, I’m just wondering how good the fix is. Can they really fix this or will it be an ongoing issue?

Does your auto insurance policy have towing and labor coverage? This would pay for the tow (up to the policy limits) and not affect the policy.

OP
OP
S

shelties-rock

Reaction score
Actually ford assistance towed it in for free for me. Now they say they see the codes that were set off but can’t replicate it so nothing they can do. I guess I need to break down somewhere before they can fix it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually ford assistance towed it in for free for me. Now they say they see the codes that were set off but can’t replicate it so nothing they can do. I guess I need to break down somewhere before they can fix it.

Wow.

I would think that if there are stored trouble code(s) - that is proof of a defect and would permit repair of the affected items.

OP
OP
S

shelties-rock

Reaction score
So now after Ford having my expedition for a week and a half, they say they see the codes for Powertrain malfunction/reduced power. But b/c they can not replicate, nothing they can do. It is still under warranty for that at 45k mikes and 4 yrs old. So b/c they did NOT fix anything u der warranty for the car…I AM ON THE HOOK FOR THE RENTAL CAR I HAD FOR A WEEK AND A HALF. I got the cheapest compact car I could get which was a Toyota Corolla at $47 a day with my shop discount. This enterprise rental was inside the dealership. But I am out the $$$ for the rental. That is total BS! I talked to not only the advisor but the Ford helpline. After an 1 1/2 hrs of arguing w/them, I gave up for today. But I intend to go HIGHER UP. I took the car in b/c it said I shouldn’t drive it. They told me go ahead and drive it and if it does it again, bring it back immediately and don’t turn the car off so they can diagnose the problem. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Chances are I will probably NOT be able to do that.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So now after Ford having my expedition for a week and a half, they say they see the codes for Powertrain malfunction/reduced power. But b/c they can not replicate, nothing they can do. It is still under warranty for that at 45k mikes and 4 yrs old. So b/c they did NOT fix anything u der warranty for the car…I AM ON THE HOOK FOR THE RENTAL CAR I HAD FOR A WEEK AND A HALF. I got the cheapest compact car I could get which was a Toyota Corolla at $47 a day with my shop discount. This enterprise rental was inside the dealership. But I am out the $$$ for the rental. That is total BS! I talked to not only the advisor but the Ford helpline. After an 1 1/2 hrs of arguing w/them, I gave up for today. But I intend to go HIGHER UP. I took the car in b/c it said I shouldn’t drive it. They told me go ahead and drive it and if it does it again, bring it back immediately and don’t turn the car off so they can diagnose the problem. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Chances are I will probably NOT be able to do that.

Good luck - I suspect you're in for nothing but frustration.

Ford's CEO has stated publicly that Ford's quality is poor and it will take several years to improve. Ford has also acknowledged they have a massive warranty cost issue, and I believe one of their ways of dealing with it is to deny warranty coverage and repair.

You may have to seek legal help to have your Ford warranty coverage enforced.

I often wonder (as I have had similar issues with Ford) if Ford realizes they will drive away customers, and end up with a long-term reputation for poor quality with these type of warranty or service plan denials?

Once again - good luck.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the original battery! The batteries in these trucks start failing and cause issues with various systems before they fail to start. Mine just started failing this week. Rear hatch on hot days wouldn’t open, step boards became possessed and the ac started getting weird. New battery which was identical to the costco amg fixed all the issues. Took me 5min to swap

OP
OP
S

shelties-rock

Reaction score
I replaced the battery about 1 yr ago so I don’t think it’s that. I wish it was though!

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes they just glitch… the price of having a lot of electrically controlled systems. Reset the car (computer) and most likely all will be fine.

I’ve had every code under the sun pop up before along with reduced power and not able to go above 55 mph. Stopped turned the vehicle off exited the vehicle and waited about 10 minutes. Restarted the vehicle and all lights warnings were gone (codes were still stored for later they don’t go away until you do that with a scan tool). Had dealer look at it a week later and they said nothing wrong it appears it just glitched. It’s been fine ever since.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire