Payload hauling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

428HO

Reaction score
My '03 EB has the power fold rear seat. I cannot find anything on how much load I can put in there with the seat down.
I'd planned on putting down a 44" sq sheet of 1/2" plywood with hooks and then setting a crated engine on that and securing it with straps.
But, the crated engine weighs about 650-700 lbs. Will it hold it?

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should be fine aslong a you are putting something on top of the seats then the crate and from your post it sound like you was going too

OP
OP

428HO

Reaction score
Well, it was a tight fit getting it in there. Had to pull the dual carbs off the intake and slide it some.
The Expo squatted a tad but just under level and ran fine all the way home. I positioned it so it had a little more weight on the rear rather than on the seat. Could have gone forward a tad more but I didn't want to chance the folded seat collapsing and it sliding forward.

Edit:
Hmmm, tried posting a pic but it didn't take it. Suggestions?

Last edited:

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish there were some decent tie down points in the rear cargo area. I'd love to install some but all the plastic seems really flimsy.

Does anybody know if there are any hard points where tie down points can be installed?

OP
OP

428HO

Reaction score
I agree about the lack of tie downs. I took a big piece of plywood, mounted blocks on the corners with eye hooks on them. But other than fit, load weight and the second row seats there was nothing keeping it from sliding. It'll work for the occasional big haul but I can't leave it in. And I have to admit seeing that big engine in the rear view mirror made me worry about panick stops or wreck.
I'd also like to add some tie points but have no idea where to put them either.

OP
OP

428HO

Reaction score
Just made a run to pick up another car. It came with a host of spare parts, a couple of engines and trannys.
Put the engines in the back of the Expo and hauled the car on a U-haul trailer. 500 miles out unloaded 70-75 mph, 500 miles back loaded 60-65 mph. Probably close to 6000 lbs total coming back.

The Expo never missed a beat, first time I'd push it that hard. Got 16 mpg for the whole trip through the blue ridge mountains. Only a few times did I even have to turn the OD off.