PCM software recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my rant as I read this.

First, it's NOT a recall. It's a "customer satisfaction program". As I read this, you MUST do 21B10. If you get a shutter in "rare instances", FOMOCO will do a 21N08 program to put it back to prior settings.

Here's what i see from Ford...If you do 21B10 before Feb 28, 2022 and have cam phaser noise, Ford "will do a pro rated ONE TIME repair under 21N03" and coverage WILL EXPIRE on Jan 1, 2023.

A one time repair!!! And the repair coverage is only until Jan 2023? How many people on here have had cam phasers replaced multiple times because Ford hasn't provided correct parts or bad parts? What happens if you need them "fixed" again? You pay for it? What if you don't get the phaser issue until after Jan 2023? Not covered?

Unless I'm reading this wrong or interpreting this wrong, Yeah, we know there's a problem. Do this or else. No, we're not going to do a recall...that admits fault. And we're not going to fix it more than once. Thank for buying an $80K vehicle. Have a nice day". Am I making too much of this??

Given that it is a faulty design or bad calibration (and not a manufacturing defect/error), This should have been extended warranty for 8 years and 100k miles at least with no questions asked. That is if they really want to call it “customer satisfaction program” Not a “bad costumer program”.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have received my recall notice to have my PCM software updated. This is related to the CAM phaser issues. It seems there is no mechanical work being done. I have the extended warranty. Would you have this upgrade installed in your Expy?
Got mine this week in the mail. Dealer had me in and out 30 minutes. Only 19,600 on my 2019 bought new in September 2018. No loud Phasers but still low miles. Zero issues otherwise. Got a Ford warranty for 6yrs 125,000 when I bought it so not a concern on my part. The mailer did list Ford extended coverage on phasers likely tied to software updates. Seems like it turns over 2-3 times more before starting on cold mornings. But could be my imagination. Nothing noticeable otherwise

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My question for my dealer is this...As I read this letter, it seems to me that Ford will only cover the cam phaser repair ONE TIME, and ONLY if you do the update AND you only have to Jan 2023 to have any repair done free. After Jan 2023, I guess YOU are paying for the repair either way. That they won't cover it under powertrain OR extended warranty. If that's correct....shame on Ford. I think they are turning their backs on this.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The phasers in my 2018 limited Max were replaced at 40k. It now has 66k and still fine with no rattles. I had the 21B10 software done back in August and now have the shudder. What I’m afraid of is what happens if I go back concerned of the shudder and they back the SW down to what everyone says is “as factory equipped” per the 21N08. Is that truly factory equipped software with no updates and then what about the life of the phasers? I’m in the position of trying to see if I can live with the shudder to not have to keep replacing phasers since I love to drive and want to put plenty of miles on the truck. If anyone had the shudder and went in for the 21N08 update - please update the thread and let us know what did you experience after that SW update? Did it really cure the shudder? I have it at low rpm’s (1100-1300) in all gears and simply just drive it in sport mode to get rid of that but found it also has a bucking feeling in 3rd and 4th gear only in Sport 4wd. If I switch to Normal 4wd or Sport 2wd, there’s no bucking.

mhExped

Reaction score
...it also has a bucking feeling in 3rd and 4th gear only in Sport 4wd. If I switch to Normal 4wd or Sport 2wd, there’s no bucking.
Sorry for the tangent, but in case it's helpful to @BMW2FORD...

I encountered a situation with my '18 Limited where I'd feel a rhythmic, surging/pulsing when under load (like towing a trailer or going up a hill) and in 4WD. It was easily reproducible by finding a steep grade in a residential neighborhood with little traffic, where I could crawl up the hill ~15 mph and not suffer too much road noise - VERY noticeable under those conditions.

Over time it got worse...to the point where you could feel it anytime in 4WD, even without towing a trailer or going up a hill. Turned out to be a bad front diff.

I still feel _something_ when in 4WD and towing or going up a hill, but it's definitely less noticeable than it was before the front diff was replaced. Dealer tells me it's "normal" on dry pavement due to front hubs being locked in 4WD.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I had the work done and NO MORE SHUDDER ... drove 800 miles round trip and it was so nice to not have the hesitation/shudder after breaking and then accelerating. I know there are a lot of opinion on this forum, but for me it worked :cool:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m still deciding what to do. I don’t notice anything on startup. Some noise from a cold engine and emissions stuff is normal to me so maybe I have it and just don’t shear it as anything wrong. Im also into old cars so total silence isn’t something I’m accustomed to.

I have to read that notice carefully. At first glance it sounds like they will not fix it if I have trouble down the line. I have just under 10k on the clock. Mine is an august 19 build. Redesigned cam phaser parts were supposedly started in April of that year.