Phone ringer set to highest volume after exiting vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a technology geek, so bare with me. I sync'd my iPhone 10X to my Expedition and it works great, but every time I exit the car, my phones ringer is set to its loudest setting. When I enter the vehicle my phone ringer is typically set about halfway up, but every time I get out of the car I need to crank my phones ringer volume back down. Is there a setting somewhere that is making this happen? Or is this just some crazy quirk that they all do? My wifes sedan doesn't do this to her volume, so I figured I should ask.

Thanks!

cgrigsby

Reaction score
My iPhone XS does that too. A real eye opener when the alarm goes off and I forgot to turn the volume down. Hopefully someone has a fix.
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, it’s an annoyance but I’ve learned to just turn it down when I’m going to bed.

I’d also be interested if someone comes up with a fix.

mpc11

Reaction score
This worked for me on my X: On your iPhone, open settings -> sounds, then switch off "change with buttons" under ringer and alerts.

This isn't necessarily a fix, and more a work around, as you lose the ability to change ringer volume on your phone w/ the side buttons. But, to me, it's better than getting blasted awake by an alarm on max or a ring at full volume.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll probably just delete the phone from the car, its kinda retarded having all that thru the car anyway. I'm not a big fan of it as its my work phone and its annoying when the kids are talking in the back seat or something. This loud ringer literally scares the H*** out of me when the phone rings next as its ungodly loud!

Seth21

Reaction score
This worked for me on my X: On your iPhone, open settings -> sounds, then switch off "change with buttons" under ringer and alerts.

This isn't necessarily a fix, and more a work around, as you lose the ability to change ringer volume on your phone w/ the side buttons. But, to me, it's better than getting blasted awake by an alarm on max or a ring at full volume.

I might try this. I don't usually change the ringer volume much. Only when the expedition tries to blast my ear drum upon exit.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apple doesn't know why it happens either...it seems to definitely be a Sync issue.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250175748
Or maybe it's not a Sync issue; from another Apple forum:

"I've had this same problem ever since I upgraded my Ford truck to Sync 3 version 2.2. It worked fine until the Ford Sync update and nothing else changed on my iPhone 7+. Every time I get in the truck and Bluetooth connects, it raises my ring volume to max. You can see it on the screen jacking it up all the way.

I went through the whole Ford support deal but nothing worked so I finally talked a Ford Sync engineer. He told me that they implemented the new Apple Bluetooth standards in the latest version of Ford Sync per Apple requirements and that's what is causing the problem- they have no control over it. There is no fix on Ford's end- it has to come from Apple. I found that we can't even roll back the Ford Sync update to the old version that worked. The only thing that I have found in the months since I updated is to turn off the setting to allow the ring volume to be changed with the side buttons. It's a pain to adjust ring volume now but it helps the ring volume problem some. At the same time, it causes the sound volume to max out most of the time. This is very frustrating when you are in and out of your vehicle a lot during the day!

I just updated to iOS 11 hoping that it would be fixed but it is not- it is just the same. Please fix this Apple!"