Phone stays connected to Bluetooth after turning off vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seventieslord

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that any time I turn off my 2018 Expy and get out, if I'm on a phone call or listening to something, the car's bluetooth retains control of it. I have to manually turn off Bluetooth in order to start getting sounds from my phone speaker again.

This doesn't happen all the time, like if I am just near my vehicle on my patio or something, when it's been off for hours, it just seems to be a thing that happens shortly after it's been turned off, and for an undetermined amount of time (10-15 min?)

Is this a glitch or is it intended behaviour?

And in either case, is there a hack or a setting I can change so that it stops doing this?

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After parking and shutting off the motor, you need to open and close the driver's door for all the electronics to power down. Otherwise, they will stay powered for some amount of time (don't know how long because I never let them stay on).

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
After parking and shutting off the motor, you need to open and close the driver's door for all the electronics to power down. Otherwise, they will stay powered for some amount of time (don't know how long because I never let them stay on).
Are you referring to retained accessory power? Because this isn't just that. This happens after I've already gotten out of the car and close the door.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you referring to retained accessory power? Because this isn't just that. This happens after I've already gotten out of the car and close the door.
I suppose that's what I'm referring to. I just didn't know what to call it. It does take some time for the accessory power to finally go off, even after shutting the door. It doesn't happen immediately.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I suppose that's what I'm referring to. I just didn't know what to call it. It does take some time for the accessory power to finally go off, even after shutting the door. It doesn't happen immediately.
I don't know if that's what Ford calls it, but a couple of my past vehicles have called it that. But I mean, at the time that it is still taking over my phone's bluetooth, everything is off. The screen is off, there's no nav, I can't operate the wipers, etc. It's in the same state it would be in if I was getting into it the next morning. Except that behind the scenes, the Bluetooth is seemingly still active. Nothing else is.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not right. Make sure your sync software is up to date.

mpc11

Reaction score
If I'm on a call, my phone switches immediately with car off, as soon as I open the door, from car speakers via bluetooth to phone speaker.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if that's what Ford calls it, but a couple of my past vehicles have called it that. But I mean, at the time that it is still taking over my phone's bluetooth, everything is off. The screen is off, there's no nav, I can't operate the wipers, etc. It's in the same state it would be in if I was getting into it the next morning. Except that behind the scenes, the Bluetooth is seemingly still active. Nothing else is.
Try unhooking and delete bluetooth connection and reset. On your phone delete bluetooth connection Cut your phone off and restart.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
If I'm on a call, my phone switches immediately with car off, as soon as I open the door, from car speakers via bluetooth to phone speaker.
Right, I believe this is what's supposed to happen.

I should clarify for anyone else reading. When I get out and my phone is stuck on bluetooth, I can hit play on my music or podcast, and it will say it's playing... but it will be silent. Because it's going to my car, which is off, and the stereo is off, yet, the bluetooth is still active.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right, I believe this is what's supposed to happen.

I should clarify for anyone else reading. When I get out and my phone is stuck on bluetooth,
I should clarify also,
This is a bluetooth problem not you truck or your phone problem.
This has happens all the time with different bluetooth devices hooked to different bluetooth speakers and vehicles.
Have you tried deleting bluetooth connection and reconnecting? Because it will fix the problem that you are having.
Also cut your phone off or do a soft restart on your phone.