Phone stays connected to Bluetooth after turning off vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right, I believe this is what's supposed to happen.

I should clarify for anyone else reading. When I get out and my phone is stuck on bluetooth, I can hit play on my music or podcast, and it will say it's playing... but it will be silent. Because it's going to my car, which is off, and the stereo is off, yet, the bluetooth is still active.
Definitely strange behavior. Give @Yupster Dog 's tip from post #8 a shot and start over, both in phone and in vehicle.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I should clarify also,
This is a bluetooth problem not you truck or your phone problem.
This has happens all the time with different bluetooth devices hooked to different bluetooth speakers and vehicles.
Have you tried deleting bluetooth connection and reconnecting? Because it will fix the problem that you are having.
Also cut your phone off or do a soft restart on your phone.
What do you mean by "cut your phone off"?

I can delete the connection and re-pair, no problem

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do you mean by "cut your phone off"?
A soft reset, like with iphones without a home button you hit in sequence volume up volume down then hold power button down until you see the apple logo then release.
Androids i usually just pull the battery for a minute then start back up.
Here is a link find your phone How to soft reset your phone

This should be done every once in a while anyway to keep your phone running smoothly.
Also not having a lot of apps open also helps run smoothly. (1 or 2 apps even up to 5 apps fine but 10 apps open something will always get screwy)
Just doing these things will help it not to happen as often, if at all.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
A soft reset, like with iphones without a home button you hit in sequence volume up volume down then hold power button down until you see the apple logo then release.
Androids i usually just pull the battery for a minute then start back up.
Here is a link find your phone How to soft reset your phone

This should be done every once in a while anyway to keep your phone running smoothly.
Also not having a lot of apps open also helps run smoothly. (1 or 2 apps even up to 5 apps fine but 10 apps open something will always get screwy)
Just doing these things will help it not to happen as often, if at all.
Thanks, I actually had no idea there was a soft reset on my phone, I had to look up how to do it. Seems like it's a step beyond a regular restart.

I will report back on whether this fixes the issue.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do this weekly and anytime any bug shows up on the phone or in a app, it has never failed me yet.
FYI: This goes for all electronics that are messing up, the first thing you try is turn it off and back on.
I just did my first soft reset on my iPhone. Interesting that it didn't close all my 'open' apps. I swiped up after the reset, started scrolling through them and had to manually close a dozen or more.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I just did my first soft reset on my iPhone. Interesting that it didn't close all my 'open' apps. I swiped up after the reset, started scrolling through them and had to manually close a dozen or more.
I really have no idea how it works on iphone, but on some androids, the button that you use to check all your open apps is actually showing you all your recent apps, not necessarily ones that are open at the moment.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
Soft resetting and unpairing and repairing did not work.

When I've turned the car off and retained accessory power is active, my Bluetooth is still on and my music is playing through the speakers. When I open the car door, the car's accessories turn off as expected, and if I watch my phone's Bluetooth connection, it disconnects for about half a second and then reconnect again and says it is connected to Ford expedition.

If I disconnect my negative battery cable, the connection terminates immediately. The vehicle is doing this.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Soft resetting and unpairing and repairing did not work.

When I've turned the car off and retained accessory power is active, my Bluetooth is still on and my music is playing through the speakers. When I open the car door, the car's accessories turn off as expected, and if I watch my phone's Bluetooth connection, it disconnects for about half a second and then reconnect again and says it is connected to Ford expedition.

If I disconnect my negative battery cable, the connection terminates immediately. The vehicle is doing this.
got ya, well it was worth a shot. Have you done your updates on the truck like @Rob6805 suggested?
There is a way to reset the truck too,
Can someone explain how to reset the 2018 system on the truck? is there a certain version they should have? how do they find out what version they have?
@LokiWolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65