pinging????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellrazer

Reaction score
ok i am in afghanistan my wife is at home with my 99 xlt. anytime she goes up hill and puts it under load it pings. it sounds to me from what i have heard of it but she has stepped up the octane level and it hasnt gotten any better. the last episode turned the service engine light on till she got to the top of the hill then it was gone. this is a 5.4 4wd all the plugs were replaced recently along with one coil. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
EGR is most likely plugged with carbon

brockncole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have the plug torque checked I had that and thru a plug in my old f-150. got the plug fixed and pinging went away. there might be a tell tell exhaust leak sound as well? Just a thought.

OP
OP
H

hellrazer

Reaction score
thanks guys for the quick responses i will definitely have a friend check out the egr for me. is it better to just replace it or can it be cleaned out? on the plugs i know they are good i had one blow out shortly before i left to come over here and i torque checked them all at the time. on the exhaust leak side of the house i do have one of those but it is from broken stud on the back of passenger manifold... headers are in order when i get home if not before.. thanks again for the help i will let you know how it goes

chad9f9

Reaction score
thanks guys for the quick responses i will definitely have a friend check out the egr for me. is it better to just replace it or can it be cleaned out? on the plugs i know they are good i had one blow out shortly before i left to come over here and i torque checked them all at the time. on the exhaust leak side of the house i do have one of those but it is from broken stud on the back of passenger manifold... headers are in order when i get home if not before.. thanks again for the help i will let you know how it goes

The EGR itself is usually still good but the problem typically lies with the orifice tubes that feed into it. I recommend pulling out the throttle body.

You will have to unbolt the EGR from the throttle body and disconnect the throttle cables. The throttle body is bolted in with a handful of bolts. Once you have it out you will see the tubes that feed the EGR and these are most likely plugged with carbon.

Use some throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner to help loosen the build up and break it loose with a wire brush or a straightened out wire coat hanger. I have done this on my own truck right after buying it as it has codes for insufficient ERG flow. I also had to replace the DPFE sensor that monitors the EGR valve. The DPFE sensors are prone to failure. After the cleaning there was a significant increase in power and throttle response. My truck is a 1999 and it has the original EGR valve on it still.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
H

hellrazer

Reaction score
sweet i will relay the message it is getting fixed tomorrow after they go pick up my new to me sho.... thanks again for all the help