Planning on getting new Ford Expedition 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandeep2364

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new 2024 Ford Expedition Limited trim. But my experience with American cars is not been great. Just the media system, quality, plastic all over. This vehicle will cost me around 80K to 90K but I can get a brand new Range Rover defender as well for same price or Toyota Sequoia capstone or Lincoln Navigator. What is your experience been with refreshed Expedition 22 or 23 model or even 24 model? Its quality, media system most common problems? Please let me know.

Nitrodoc

Reaction score
Before I ordered my 24 Expedition I looked at Tahoes, Sequoias, and Range Rovers. The Range Rovers are too $$ for their reliability and reliability. I loved the Sequoia, but the fact that it has a solid rear axle was a no-go for me. With it the cargo area is not flat and limits cargo area capacity. I liked the Tahoe diesel, but it was almost $7k more than the Ford. In the end, I bought the Expedition and haven't looked back.

DRU84

Reaction score
Listen to your gut about US made. Had Chevy's built in 1972, 1975, and 1988 and they were all pretty good. Then bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe -- horrible. Went to Toyota -- it was great. Had a Sequoia (the same one) from 2003 to 2020 with very few problems. Don't know about new ones or the mixed power thing with the new Sequoia. Traded for a 2020 Expedition -- deja vu all over again with US made. Not having a great experience. Learning transmission nonsense. Had to have transmission completely rebuilt already. Have had the vehicle just not move in drive at stop light even after transmission rebuild. It was not the start stop feature either. It does have the start stop defeat button which is nice. Carpet and plastics cheap and cheap looking showing much more wear than my old Toyota even after many years. Roominess is nice. Ride is not bad for large vehicle. Rides better than the 2020 Nissan Armada. Acceleration not bad, but it has Turbo so who knows how long that will last. Media system is not bad for my needs; not much different than other modern systems. Not sure why you would consider Range Rover. Parts, Service Centers, Quality? If you plan on buying and trading at end of warranty, then go for anything. If you do not need the space or towing -- maybe keep looking.

Nitrodoc

Reaction score
Another thing that I forgot to add about the Sequoia. The hybrid engine gets worse gas mileage than even the GN 6.2L. Real-life mpg is closer to 15 for it. I have heard of Range Rovers just out of warranty needing a new engine to the tune of $30K.

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
I had a 2003, (125,000 miles) then a 2016, (90,000 miles) just traded 3 months ago for a new 2023 XLT Max. Thrilled to death. The real shock, my yearly insurance went down $100.00 because of all the safety features, cameras, etc. Was going to pay cash but on 2023's Ford was offering .9% financing, leaving my money in the bank at 5%. Very happy.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your biggest concern is the quality of the materials, I would suggest getting a Navigator. It addresses most of the issues with the Expedition interior quality. Unfortunately, it still has the Sync infotainment system which works, but has grown rather dated.

DRU84

Reaction score
My Expedition must be monitoring my posts... just had engine warning light go on. Air filter new, just had serviced by Ford... guess it goes back again to get checked out. Sync will be the least of your problems is my prediction. Really wanted to like the Expedition, but it is giving me reasons not to at less than 50k miles. Appears to be catalytic converter problem.

VCFP153

Reaction score
I just got a '24 SSV because my '15 XL was feeling lonely. Feels pretty well-built so far, we'll see.

Attachments

• 20240221_111035.jpg
    20240221_111035.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20231107-WA0024.jpeg
    IMG-20231107-WA0024.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 11

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Listen to your gut about US made. Had Chevy's built in 1972, 1975, and 1988 and they were all pretty good. Then bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe -- horrible. Went to Toyota -- it was great. Had a Sequoia (the same one) from 2003 to 2020 with very few problems. Don't know about new ones or the mixed power thing with the new Sequoia. Traded for a 2020 Expedition -- deja vu all over again with US made. Not having a great experience. Learning transmission nonsense. Had to have transmission completely rebuilt already. Have had the vehicle just not move in drive at stop light even after transmission rebuild. It was not the start stop feature either. It does have the start stop defeat button which is nice. Carpet and plastics cheap and cheap looking showing much more wear than my old Toyota even after many years. Roominess is nice. Ride is not bad for large vehicle. Rides better than the 2020 Nissan Armada. Acceleration not bad, but it has Turbo so who knows how long that will last. Media system is not bad for my needs; not much different than other modern systems. Not sure why you would consider Range Rover. Parts, Service Centers, Quality? If you plan on buying and trading at end of warranty, then go for anything. If you do not need the space or towing -- maybe keep looking.
100% agree…been a Toyota guy for some time And the wife wanted an Expedition MAX so we bought one new in 2019. In the first 40kmiles we had the following repairs:

1. Rear End Knock issue rebuilt 3 times (there’s a tsb)

2. Full Transmission rebuild at 30kmi When I mean full, I mean full rebuild. Metal shavings, warped plates completely messed up inside.

3. Engine tear down at 40,000 miles due to cam phaser issue. Most everyone will have a cam phaser issue with an expedition.

4. Cup holders completely failing/breaking multiple times. Replace under warranty, however, the warranty is up and they have broken again.

5. Dashboard, trim piece plastic cracking. Again this was replaced under warranty. However, now the warranty is up and the replacement parts are now cracking.

6. Front shock replacement at 15,000 miles. Luckily, I inspect my vehicles on a regular basis along with check all the fluids on a regular basis. I happen to catch failure on the front suspension and they was able to replace it under warranty. however, this is a common issue.

I personally get each and every one of my vehicles maintained and serviced at the dealer, all repairs and regular maintenance. And that’s another issue, Ford dealership Service experience is nowhere near the same as Toyota or Lexus. When I bring my Toyota in, and if it has multiple issues, it is done by the same technician and never takes more than a day. Ford dealers work in a different way in that each tech focuses on one area of the car. so if you get a oil change and you need the rear end to be worked on, the rear end tech may have a four week backlog so you have to make another appointment for that and bring it back.

As opposed to the Toyota dealer, where I can have an oil change, brakes, spark plugs, valve adjustment, water pump, timing belt, all done by the same tech usually done within the day.

Now the wife wants a new sequoia because she is tired of the unreliability and dealership experience with Ford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett