PLEASE HELP...Tapping First, Now Rattleing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeTillIDie

Reaction score
Ok so heres what happend...
I purchased a 2000 expedition recently, when it was purchased it was running perfectly... about a month later, i started smelling the sweet smell of antifreeze in the A/C, no big deal, i just need to replace the heater core...

So the other day im driving and it basicly dumps all the coolant and starts to over heat, i pull over and add water.

Then i check the oil and notice it is a little low, so i take it the next morning to get the oil changed, later that day it starts making a tapping noise, which i guessed was the lifter, due to the low oil. now yesterday it is not only tapping, but now it started to "rattle", which im guessing is the timing chain...

So my questions are as follows
does it sound like it is the timing chain?
do i have to pull the motor to replace the timing chain?
is there a good writeup on how to replace the timing chain?
do i need any special tools to take on this project?
should i just replace the chains, which i see cost around 50 each?
or do i need to replace everything with the kits that cost around 250?

im sure ill have more questions thank you so very much for everyone's help

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
What weight of oil did they use? I strikes me funny that it only started making noise after the oil change.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I say there is some internal damage 5 to 10 seconds still isnt a good thing.. As far as the oil.. remember old burnt oil gets thicker, new oil is thinner once he red lined it it was basicly over than changed it with fresh oil motor has now said "Nope sorry I need a rebuild"

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ExpeTillIDie

Reaction score
So do yall think its the timing chain or not? That's what a few mechanics have said it "sounded" like... I'm gonna tear it apart tonight...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it wouldnt hurt to change it. just because the old oil could have screwed something up when the engine got that hot. if you could record a video of the sound that would help us some more.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that it's the timing chain. There are tensioners to keep that chain tight and I don't recall that there have been any posts about tensioner failure.

A cheap mechanic's stethoscope will help you pinpoint the location of the noise.