Popping Noise after 10 mins of driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skiffler

Reaction score
I am a new owner of an 04 expedition with only 44k miles. After owning the truck for a few months I noticed a popping noise coming from the passenger rear side. It only happens for a second and it doesn't matter if we are driving or stop but it occurs after driving for 10 mins or so, it only pops once per trip. The truck runs great and there is no vibration during the pop or any other time. It's almost like something heats up and it expands and it goes pop. I am not sure what it is or if I am to be worried about it. Thanks in advance for the help.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Its likely to be the rear blend door motors for the HVAC. Check if the popping happens when you move the temp control from hot to cold and from floor to ceiling. There is a blend door in each.

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
Passenger side rear sounds like part of the exhaust to me, could be a baffle in the muffle. Heater is on the driver side rear. Check in the jack compartment too, that's in the passenger left rear too, something loose in there maybe.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it happen when ur rear air is off...if so jt_armstrong is correct...rear blend door actuators/modules...there are 2 on the rear passenger side...1 moves are to floor and the other opens closes door...change both... $50 max on parts and 30 minute job u can do urself

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacks in 2nd gens are on floor in cargo area rear a/c is passenger side not driver...common prob around the 10 year mark